Valued Member
torndollar

re-age amex

Hi everyone!

I was an authorized user on my ex's American Express card while we were together. It is still on my report even though we haven't been together for over 15 years! It has 33 years of age on it. My question is this: I recently got an USAA American Express card. Can I get them to report this as 33 years old (as I heard Amex ages back to the first account you had with them) or will they not do it because I was only an AU? If they will do it, how do I go about doing it? :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Regular Contributor
Achase

Re: re-age amex

[ Edited ]

You can not do this with the USAA American Express card because that card is a cobranded american express issued by USAA Savings bank...meaning that its not actuall isssued by American Express therefore american Express does not own the rights to your account and cannot backdate your member since date.

If it was issued by american express directly then yes you would be able to do it.

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: 522
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Member
torndollar

Thanks AChase! That answers my question perfectly!

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

+1

Also, just to avoid confusion, this isn't called "re-aging." Re-aging is something that happens when your baddies acquire new dates, making them look new. What you were hoping to do is called "back-dating." (Just posting this, because it doesn't take long for a thread to start getting really confused.)

And as Achase explained, it only works on cards that actually came from/ come from American Express.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Valued Member
torndollar

Thanks for the explanation of the terms HTSU!

Established Contributor
gbishere

Wow! Go get your self an Amex and re-claim that history!

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

While we are being technical here, the card is not Co-branded.  The issuer is not counted in the brand.     Your card is issued by USAA and uses the AMEX network(brand).   

Travelocity (brand)   Amex (brand) issued by BarClays (issuer)  is an example of a Co-branded card.

Costco (brand)  Amex (brand) issued by American Express (issuer) is another example of Co-branded card.

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Good clarification! Good examples, too.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Frequent Contributor
joestay

Wolf3 wrote:

While we are being technical here, the card is not Co-branded.  The issuer is not counted in the brand.     Your card is issued by USAA and uses the AMEX network(brand).   

Travelocity (brand)   Amex (brand) issued by BarClays (issuer)  is an example of a Co-branded card.

Costco (brand)  Amex (brand) issued by American Express (issuer) is another example of Co-branded card.

Does this mean costco trueearning can be use to backdate in the future if I apply for a blue card?

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

joestay wrote:

Does this mean costco trueearning can be use to backdate in the future if I apply for a blue card?

Yes. The Costco TrueEarnings card is issued by American Express. Therefore any other card from American Express (not just one with the logo), including a Blue, will pick up the original year of opening.

Same for Zync, Green, Gold, Plat, Starwood, Delta Gold, Clear, etc etc.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}