Established Contributor
mt2va

re-opening closed account

I know I've seen posts where people talked about re-opening an old AMEX account & they were able to get their old history back etc.  Has anyone has success doing that with any other creditors?

I have an old Chase MC & Discover Card I would love to have re-opened.  I had perfect payment history with both & closed them many years ago not realizing that it was better to keep them open.

Gardening since: 4/16/14
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
7/13: EQ 517 (FICO)/TU 546 (FAKO)/EX 581 (FAKO)
Current (4/14): EQ 580 (FICO)/TU 611 (FICO)/ EX 603 (FICO)

New Contributor
thoughts1

Re: re-opening closed account

Amex is the only issuer that will backdate a new account to your original first amex date.

that said, other issuers will re-open closed accounts but has to be done within a certain period after it has been closed.  some is 30 days after it has been closed, other 6 months.

it's definitely worth to ask though, just call one of the backdoor numbers and talk to a credit analyst... 

Established Contributor
mt2va

Re: reopening closed account

No these were closed about 15 years ago.  Thought I would ask anyway if anyone besides AMEX did it.  Way back then didn't know anything about keeping my oldest CC open even if I didn't feel I needed them at the time.  So even though I've had CC for 19 years the 3 CRA have my credit length about 9 years (which is when my student loans occurred)  Which of course is listed as a bad thing as the people with high FICO scores have credit forever & ever! 

Gardening since: 4/16/14
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
7/13: EQ 517 (FICO)/TU 546 (FAKO)/EX 581 (FAKO)
Current (4/14): EQ 580 (FICO)/TU 611 (FICO)/ EX 603 (FICO)

Established Contributor
Watchmann

Re: reopening closed account

Accounts that old have probably been long flushed and lost in mergers and acquistions of the banks and issuers involved over the last 15 years.  I don't think it is possible to resurrect and have your accounts backdated.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+