Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rebuilding credit after bankruptcy & credit card not reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

rebuilding credit after bankruptcy & credit card not reporting

We received our discharge in bankruptcy 1 year ago.  We filed due to medical bills and job loss.  We are wanting to restore our credit.  Any practical tips to help us get started?

Also, we both opened up a credit card after the discharge to help re-establish good credit.  However, I checked our credit reports and they are not yet reporting our new account.  How do I go about getting that information on the credit report to help rebuilding?

Thanks!

Christie

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: rebuilding credit after bankruptcy & credit card not reporting

Hi, welcome to the forums! Congrats on getting through your bankruptcy.

Who is the issuer of your current CC?

As to re-establishing credit, I'd suggest looking in your area for a credit union. Make sure that they report to all three bureaus, and that they issue CC's and offer installment products, like auto loans. I'm sure that you'll have to start with a secured card, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Many (certainly not most) CU's pull EQ. You can pull your Equifax myFICO score report, print it out, and take it with you when you visit the local CU's. Show it to the loan officers and tell them that it's a Beacon 5.0. (That's the industry name for the Equifax Classic FICO score.) They will have to pull one for real if you decide to apply, but they should at least be able to eyeball it and let you know if they will work with you.

Good luck!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

You should call CC company and ask who they report to?  Ask them to update if they have not reported.   Not all cards report to all 3.   Which card is it?

Rebuilidng is an ongoing process,   you need to gradually build up more accounts.   You should problably each open a second CC sometime soon.   A decent secured major credit card is probably your best option.     

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all check the Bankruptcy section of this forum.

I believe there are different rules regarding medical.

It took me 10 long years for bankruptcy

to fall off. As the years go by you will be able

to build your credit.  I was in 700 score range when

it fell off.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.