Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rebuilding credit in progress

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

rebuilding credit in progress

I have a cap one starter card and was debating whether to apply for a wells fargo secured card for $1000.00.  If handled properly will this continue to improve my score and is it a good option?

Also, does anyone know the FICO requirement for retail store cards such as Target, Lowes, Best Buy etc.  Moreover, are these cards that should also be part of my credit card portfolio.  Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: rebuilding credit in progress

wrote:

I have a cap one starter card and was debating whether to apply for a wells fargo secured card for $1000.00.  If handled properly will this continue to improve my score and is it a good option?

Also, does anyone know the FICO requirement for retail store cards such as Target, Lowes, Best Buy etc.  Moreover, are these cards that should also be part of my credit card portfolio.  Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Unless there are any store cards where you shop at a lot, I would avoid store cards. If you shop a lot at a particular store then by all means get one. To simplify things, having three solid cards you’ll use is a good rebuild thing to do slowly. Then you can employ AZERO. (All cards zero reporting except one). After you’ve had that first card 6 -12 months, you can start the process of getting unsecured credit cards that fit your spending patterns. Simple cashback card or a lower tiered rewards card if you fly or stay at hotels a lot for example. Retail cards are often easy to get once your credit hits 600 to 630 FICO score. There is the shopping cart trick. Although I don’t recommend it personally.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the great information.

Message 3 of 5
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

For longevity, stick with major cards (BoA, Cap1, Discover, etc). If you want to try the AZEO method, in addition to the Cap 1 starter you already have, I'd apply for the Discover Chrome and perhaps the USAA Secured by Amex ($39 AF but early foot in the door).

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the information

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.