Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recommendation for credit cards applications

tag
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

recommendation for credit cards applications

I have been lurking  here for awhile and  have decided to join in. I have lots of credit cards but now that i know about points I want the cards that I can earn travel points. .My last credit score from Barclay is 804 and Discover is 794. I have a credit history over 15 yrs and my last 2 cards are Jetblue(dec 2013) and barclays reward card(jan 27th 2014). My cc  limits varies from the lowest $3200(chase freedom )to $42,000(citibank platinium advantage). As I said before I have quite a list of cards but none that will give me the points I want. Besides the cards listed above I have citizen bank, 4 BOA, 2 capital one ,Amex-blue and green and store cards like Macys, the limited, Home depot HSN and QVC. Most of the cards have zero balance except the Discover and Barclays with 0% interest rate and balances less than a $1000. So the cards I want are CSP, Citi executive, us airway and Amex PRG. I am pre-approved for CSP on chase website. I have an upgrade offer for the PRG but no mention of the points so I may omit that one but I may call them to see if points come with this offer. So if I am doing a app-o-rama what order should I do them for increase chance of approval.? I really want the us airway  card but its been only 3 months since I have their reward cards-some experts have suggested to wait a little longer  to apply for the US airway card(barclay) but just wanted to hit all the credit bureaus on the same day. Looking forward to reading the suggestions. TIA.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

Re: recommendation for credit cards applications

i think you'd be fine regardless of what order you apply for them with a credit score that high. their only concern would be your 2 recent inquiries from Dec and Jan.

personally, i'd apply for:

1) CSP. Go in branch if you want a lower spend threshold (2k instead of 3k. should still be 40k points. also should still get extra 5k for AU. Go ahead and make someone an authorized user, but never give them the card for the extra 5k).

2) Citi exec and US Airway online at the same time. Two incognito windows. Citi exec should be no problem since it seems you have a good relationship with them already. US Airway might give you a barclay issue, but i think you'll be okay.

3) call Amex and see what they'd be willing to do on their end. Apparently they're making bonuses once per lifetime starting May 1st, though even if you apply before the turn of the month they may never honor the PRG bonus again in the future. If you have a previous charge card with amex, i'd upgrade that to PRG in the event you still get the bonus points. if not, id just apply for a new one or wait it out.

biggest thing is making sure you spend enough to hit those signup bonuses.

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would do:

Citi

Chase

Amex Upgrade probably won't have bonus but new app would probably.

barclay (id say go for it... if you have issues you can usually move some CL from current card or close current card all together to open the new one if they have an issue but with your scores and credit history I would not think so)

Message 3 of 8
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, there is not a chase bank near me so I will have  to do it online. I went to creditboard and saw that in my state Citi, Chase and Amex pulls from Experian and Barclays consistently pulls from TU. But another poster  on creditboard wrote that their chase CSP application  in 2012 was pulled from TU. So would that change your suggestion in the order of applying for the cards?

Message 4 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ramblinggirl wrote:

Unfortunately, there is not a chase bank near me so I will have  to do it online. I went to creditboard and saw that in my state Citi, Chase and Amex pulls from Experian and Barclays consistently pulls from TU. But another poster  on creditboard wrote that their chase CSP application  in 2012 was pulled from TU. So would that change your suggestion in the order of applying for the cards?

nope.

Message 5 of 8
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

I will call Amex to ask about getting points with upgrade. The plus is that  the upgrade  would be a soft pull and a new application a hard pull. 

Message 6 of 8
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

Thank You-will update boards on results. Since I am new to this forum do i post these results here or on on approval boards?

Message 7 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ramblinggirl wrote:

Thank You-will update boards on results. Since I am new to this forum do i post these results here or on on approval boards?

you could do update here so those that have posted and are following get alert and then put up an approval thread

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.