Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reminder to AMEX holders

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: reminder to AMEX holders

@Anonymous wrote:
Today was a great day for amex card holders. $240 dollars in statement credit.

It would have taken me $12,000 in spent with double cash to make that much money.

I feel guilty with all the amexoffer, sign up bonus, and cash back on regular purchase.

Amex is a gift that keeps on giving.

It's good, but how much of that was spend you would do anyway and how much was "extra" spend which is the whole point of the promotion?

When people insist that rewards don't increase their spending, I will think about this event!

Message 51 of 71
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

None of my spend today was spend that I'd regularly spend, but cash back of 100% would make any human being have new spend.

I purchased gift cards at my restaurants. One restaurant even had a get 5 back with 25 purchase. Of course, I purchased 125 there so got 25 back for free on top of the already free 120 in gift cards.

This is definitely the best promo each year. I will prepare accordingly for next year! lol Smiley Very Happy
Message 52 of 71
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

You also pay a steep annual fee (for most Amex cards)

Not most. There are a ton of no-AF revolvers not to mention Amex network cards that dont' have an AF but issued by other banks. Just not an accurate statement, sorry.

Message 53 of 71
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Kenny wrote:
None of my spend today was spend that I'd regularly spend, but cash back of 100% would make any human being have new spend.

I purchased gift cards at my restaurants. One restaurant even had a get 5 back with 25 purchase. Of course, I purchased 125 there so got 25 back for free on top of the already free 120 in gift cards.

This is definitely the best promo each year. I will prepare accordingly for next year! lol Smiley Very Happy

Right, but my guess is not everyone gets 100% cash back, spending over $10 at various places.   I'm sure everyone can justify it to themselves why it is great value, but it is extra spend generated by marketing.  Nothing wrong with being a puppet of Amex!

Message 54 of 71
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

Right, but my guess is not everyone gets 100% cash back, spending over $10 at various places.   I'm sure everyone can justify it to themselves why it is great value, but it is extra spend generated by marketing.  Nothing wrong with being a puppet of Amex!

Hey, I'll definitely be Amex's puppet. Smiley Very Happy

Message 55 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spent 100 total and getting 30 back so I'm out 70. I helped some small businesses increase their bottom line. The guy in front of me in line spent 100 and got 10 back so the stores benefited. The owner of one of the stores was happy and said over 60 % of his sales yesterday were from Amex cardholders. He was happy.
Message 56 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Using the AMEX login site, I was only able to register my BCE, but not my TE.   I wasn't sure if the Macy's AMEX could be added, but by the time I even thought about it, I was unable to add anything else, anyway.

I'll "only" wind up getting $20 in statement credit.   I decided to do purchases slightly about the $10 threshold, so I got myself some lunch at Chronic Tacos and dinner (plus some extra burritos) at Miguel Jr's.   Mmmm.   Thanks for feeding me, AMEX!

But but, those are evil amex burritos. You are bad and should feel bad.Smiley Surprised

Lol Smiley Tongue

Message 57 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ended up shifting some of my normal spend. DW and I usually get lunch at the local pizza place on Saturday, which we discovered yesterday was elligible for the promotion. We also shifted some of our spend from the local supermarket to smaller grocers, picking up overpriced milk and eggs. Overall, we probably spent $50 and got back $30. A good day all around Smiley Very Happy

Message 58 of 71
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Spent  $139 will get $120 back.

I'm a $19 puppet and I'm ok with that lol.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 59 of 71
vwhirlwind
Established Member

Unless you are bartering goods or services for all your purchasing, you're a "puppet" to someone.

Message 60 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.