Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reminder to AMEX holders

tag
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: reminder to AMEX holders

This is what happened. Tried again and got a few more results still a bit erratic. I need to search names as this will likely return best results. I just need to remember the names lol. Will likely venture out here shortly see what trouble I can get into.

Thanks guys!

@Bman70 wrote:

@TheGardner wrote:

Map only shows restaurants and bars in my area. There are many other small businesses wonder what the qualifiers were or if the merchant had to enroll and maybe pay amex for the privilege? Wouldn't be too suprised if the whole $10 or more than half is paid by the merchant.

Needless to say with the limited opportunities in my area I will likely not be participating unfortunately. Could have save up to $120 Smiley Sad

You may have selected "dining" from the drop down menu. Select "shopping" or another category to see other businesses.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 21 of 71
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

I checked the site to see if I was interested in any of the eligible businesses, the only one that stood out was Super Vitamin Outlet. They did not like this offer haha, I had them run four charges, three on one card, one on the other. They get hit with a fee per charge and let me know about it. Oh well, I could have made it even worse and grabbed enough items for two more charges, but I figured I probably shouldn't.

Interesting that the community here has a big issue with purchasing gift cards, arguing that it ruins rewards for everybody, but not this kind of behavior, which is more likely to spur a small business owner into deciding that supporting AMEX is not worth it. 

I don't understand what type of behavior you're referring to. Taking advantage of an offer?

Message 22 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

I checked the site to see if I was interested in any of the eligible businesses, the only one that stood out was Super Vitamin Outlet. They did not like this offer haha, I had them run four charges, three on one card, one on the other. They get hit with a fee per charge and let me know about it. Oh well, I could have made it even worse and grabbed enough items for two more charges, but I figured I probably shouldn't.

Interesting that the community here has a big issue with purchasing gift cards, arguing that it ruins rewards for everybody, but not this kind of behavior, which is more likely to spur a small business owner into deciding that supporting AMEX is not worth it. 

I don't understand what type of behavior you're referring to. Taking advantage of an offer?

Both methods are "taking advantage of an offer"; however, the manner of the acceptance of the offer is the issue. By splitting your purchase into multiple lines, you're exploiting the system, with a side effect of running up fees for the shop owner, and certainly violating the spirit in which the offer is made. 

To put it another way, its not that you're taking advantage of the offer by accepting it. It's that you're taking advantage of the offer by scamming the system. 

Message 23 of 71
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

Both methods are "taking advantage of an offer"; however, the manner of the acceptance of the offer is the issue. By splitting your purchase into multiple lines, you're exploiting the system, with a side effect of running up fees for the shop owner, and certainly violating the spirit in which the offer is made. 

To put it another way, its not that you're taking advantage of the offer by accepting it. It's that you're taking advantage of the offer by scamming the system. 

Splitting my purchase up is exactly what the offer calls for. If I didn't do it I wouldn't get the offer. Do you truly believe the point of the offer was to drive around to 6-9 different small businesses throughout the day to take advantage of the offer? I'm fairly certain they knew that wasn't going to happen.

An offer is supposed to be a reward, not an obligation. Driving around to businesses I never intended to visit makes the entire offer, in my mind, worthless.

Message 24 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

Splitting my purchase up is exactly what the offer calls for. If I didn't do it I wouldn't get the offer. Do you truly believe the point of the offer was to drive around to 6-9 different small businesses throughout the day to take advantage of the offer? I'm fairly certain they knew that wasn't going to happen.

An offer is supposed to be a reward, not an obligation. Driving around to businesses I never intended to visit makes the entire offer, in my mind, worthless.

Going to 6-9 different small businesses throughout the day is exactly what the point of the offer is. Go, have breakfast at the cafe. Get some groceries from the corner grocer. Have lunch at the local diner. Pick up something for the kids at the local toystore. The offer is meant to spur usage of small businesses. 

As to your point of reward vs. obligation, you aren't required to accept the offer. It's a sweetener, to promote you using your card in more places and make amex seem like its more involved in the local community. It is the very act of encouraging you to visit businesses that you otherwise would never have intended to visit that constitutes the reason that the offer was made. 

I'll also note that this is for "qualified" small businesses. If I were a small business, I might just refuse your offer. I could get removed from amex's qualified list, or I could just remove the ability of my customers to use them. Nobody really cares these days if they have to use their Visa or MC, instead of their Amex. If you make it a hassle for the small business to accept the card, then they won't. 

Additionally, your urge to go back and do it more in order to "make steam come of out his ears" or whatever you referred to indicates that you know this is a crummy thing to do. 

As always, ymmv. The behavior is technically permitted, just like using your amex BCP to purchase gift cards at the grocery store is technically permitted. The interesting part is that one version of "taking advantage" of the system is encouraged by these forums, while another is heavily looked down upon. 

Message 25 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, even with the swipe fees, the stores are making money they wouldn't have without the amex deal. When amex gives people free money to spend at small businesses it goes right to the businesses. 

I'm pretty sure amex and amex customers aren't trying to crush mom and pop stores. Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

Going to 6-9 different small businesses throughout the day is exactly what the point of the offer is. Go, have breakfast at the cafe. Get some groceries from the corner grocer. Have lunch at the local diner. Pick up something for the kids at the local toystore. The offer is meant to spur usage of small businesses. 

As to your point of reward vs. obligation, you aren't required to accept the offer. It's a sweetener, to promote you using your card in more places and make amex seem like its more involved in the local community. It is the very act of encouraging you to visit businesses that you otherwise would never have intended to visit that constitutes the reason that the offer was made. 

I'll also note that this is for "qualified" small businesses. If I were a small business, I might just refuse your offer. I could get removed from amex's qualified list, or I could just remove the ability of my customers to use them. Nobody really cares these days if they have to use their Visa or MC, instead of their Amex. If you make it a hassle for the small business to accept the card, then they won't. 

Additionally, your urge to go back and do it more in order to "make steam come of out his ears" or whatever you referred to indicates that you know this is a crummy thing to do. 

As always, ymmv. The behavior is technically permitted, just like using your amex BCP to purchase gift cards at the grocery store is technically permitted. The interesting part is that one version of "taking advantage" of the system is encouraged by these forums, while another is heavily looked down upon. 

I agree with this.  The spirit of the offer is to use your card at different small businesses. It was not to break your grocery items up and force the local mom and pop grocery to swipe your card 3 times. Cmon, anybody who believes that's the right thing to do is unethical.  

Message 27 of 71
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

I'd wager that most people who took advantage of this offer went to view the map and immediately began looking for businesses they use frequently. There may have been some, or even a lot, of people who figured they'd try out other small businesses they weren't familiar with, but my guess is that group was the clear minority.

I live in one of the most densely populated counties in the entire country, we have strip malls everywhere, small businesses galore. I mostly saw restaurants, bars, and crappy corner grocers that I've never even heard of on the list. I looked up a few local businesses that I like to use, including a great pizza place just around the corner, and they weren't eligible.

If you wanted to use the offer to drive around all day, gambling on businesses you avoided until this offer came along, that's cool. But to say those of us who wanted to use it to stick to what we already know is a "crummy" thing to do is a bit absurd.

Btw, I was joking about going back. I didn't say that as a way of admitting that I was doing something I shouldn't be, I said it because the employee clearly lied to me about "losing all of our profits". In other words, his frustration was over greed. I don't respect greed. He still made money from me going there, just not as much as he wanted.

Message 28 of 71
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

I agree with this.  The spirit of the offer is to use your card at different small businesses. It was not to break your grocery items up and force the local mom and pop grocery to swipe your card 3 times. Cmon, anybody who believes that's the right thing to do is unethical.  

If they made this a weekend offer, or a week, I think you guys would have a point. Seeing that it was a one day only offer I don't believe they expected people to drive around all day visiting businesses they weren't familiar with.

I don't drink so the plethora of bars were out, I rarely eat out and when I do it's at a select few local restaurants that were all absent from the list, so those were out, and I had several buy one get one coupons for the grocery store I've been going to my entire life, so the grocers were out. I don't even go to Super Vitamin Outlet, so technically I did try something new, but it was the only thing on the list that seemed half way suited to what I'd be interested in.

I think you should probably hold off on throwing around the unethical label when you don't know very much about the people you're applying that to.

Message 29 of 71
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

People, read the fine print......gas stations don't count no matter what the website says (Item 4).  If you manage multiple AMEX cards under one ID and Password only ONE of the cards can be registered for this offer.  The idea of this offer is NOT to run around town all day scoring $10 a hit.  Remember SOMEBODY is sacrificing $10....haven't we learned over the last few years that there is NO FREE LUNCH?

Terms
1. Limit three (3) $10 statement credits per eligible American Express Card. To receive the offer, Card Members must register any eligible American Express Card for this offer. Corporate Cards and all prepaid Card products (other than American Express Serve® and Bluebird®) are not eligible. 2. The number of registrations is limited. Registration opens at 12:00 A.M. MST (“Mountain Standard Time”) on Nov 16, 2014 and will continue until 11:59 P.M. MST on Nov 29, 2014, unless the registration limit is reached sooner. 3. To receive the $10 statement credit, the Card Member must use his or her registered Card to spend $10 or more in a single, in-store transaction at a qualifying small business location on Saturday, Nov 29, 2014. For example, if your transaction is only for $5, you will not receive a credit. Multiple transactions of less than $10 will not qualify even if the combined total of those transactions is over $10. You may purchase multiple items that together equal $10 or more, but you must purchase them in a single transaction to receive the statement credit. Online transactions do not qualify. 4. Qualifying small business locations appear on the Shop Small® Map available at ShopSmall.com. Please note that the businesses listed on the Shop Small Map may change. In addition, business location and other information provided on the Shop Small Map may contain inaccuracies or errors, including as a result of information provided by third parties. Transactions with political campaigns or political action committees as well as purchases at gas or service stations do not qualify for the statement credit, regardless of whether they appear on the Shop Small Map. 5. If American Express does not receive information that identifies a transaction as having occurred in-store at a qualifying small business location on Nov 29, 2014, the transaction will not qualify for the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you will not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. 6. The statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after Nov 29, 2014, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase as described above. Note that American Express may not receive information that identifies your transaction as a qualifying transaction if the items from your purchase are not all provided to you on Nov 29, 2014. For example, if you purchase an item that is not available until after Nov 29, 2014, that item will not count towards determining whether your transaction qualifies for the offer. 7. The statement credit may be reversed if the qualifying purchase is returned or cancelled. POID: BHYI:0001

Can I participate in Amex Offers with more than one American Express Card?

If you manage multiple Cards on your americanexpress.com account, only one of the eligible Cards will be able to take advantage of an offer. If your eligible Cards have separate americanexpress.com accounts (unique IDs and passwords), they will each be able to access available offers. You can only add an Amex Offer to an eligible American Express Card once.

If you are accessing offers through participating social channels, you can only connect one eligible American Express Card per unique Facebook, Foursquare, TripAdvisor or Twitter account.

Message 30 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.