Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rental insurance, amex, WMC, visa signature card difference

tag
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

rental insurance, amex, WMC, visa signature card difference

Anyone is familiar with the difference? They all provide the collision waive (or something like that).. which card to use is better? I somehow think that Amex would be the best, but I am not sure the difference among the three...

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: rental insurance, amex, WMC, visa signature card difference

@Christina_xyt wrote:

Anyone is familiar with the difference? They all provide the collision waive (or something like that).. which card to use is better? I somehow think that Amex would be the best, but I am not sure the difference among the three...

I believe they are all secondary and are just about the same in terms of coverage, if you have a Diners card that has primary coverage. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 7
Jerryf08
New Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preferred also has primary coverage.

Chase Freedom: $5000, CSP: $12800 Chase Hyatt: $5000, Amazon Visa: $500, Amex BCE: $23200, Discover IT: $3600, Walmart Disc: $7500, BOA Cash $5000, Best Buy: $3500
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

some has limitations on MSRP of the rental car
some has it under 30k others 50k
Visa has rental car upto 30 days
discover is 15 days I think
Chase United card is also Primary Coverage

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex cards will only cover certain vehicles, and $ amounts up to rental for 30 days. Also depends on the Amex card version if it is primary or secondary. Chase is primary, but excludes some types of car classes.. call the credit card company and check with them to see for sure what they do cover. Some Amex will only repay you your deductible on your personal insurance.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also You can't assume just because you have Visa Signature or World Master card that Rental car damage waiver comes standard
its not the case some of my Visa Sig cards doesn't have it
and Sams Club World mastercard doesn't come with it
I have got $800 woth of rental car damage waived wih BoA Visa Sig card before
Its very useful feature since it saves you $14.99 per day opting out for damage waiver offered by rental car company

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.