cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replace amex charge with amex credit?

tag
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Re: replace amex charge with amex credit?

Its funny because tonight I was looking tonight and the Blue Preferred. I will app next April though. I will keep my Zync also.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 11 of 30
android01
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@android01 wrote:

Good advice!  I wish I knew that before I apped for a new AMEX card in December of 2009.  My original AMEX was from March of 1986, and the new card was backdated to December of 1986.  Smiley Indifferent

Heh, because an extra 23 years of tradeline sucks so much amirite? Cat Tongue

Ha!  If the truth be known,  I didn't even know what backdating was at the time, so it was an extra bonus when I finally found out what it was.  STILL missed out on nine months though....Smiley Frustrated

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 12 of 30
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@android01 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@android01 wrote:

Good advice!  I wish I knew that before I apped for a new AMEX card in December of 2009.  My original AMEX was from March of 1986, and the new card was backdated to December of 1986.  Smiley Indifferent

Ha!  If the truth be known,  I didn't even know what backdating was at the time, so it was an extra bonus when I finally found out what it was.  STILL missed out on nine months though....Smiley Frustrated

*cough* 11 months, oh the horror! Smiley Wink

Just kidding of course, it's still a ludicrously fantastic backdate; oh how I wish I'd opened up an Amex back in the day when I could've gotten one shortly after my first attempt at college.

        
Message 13 of 30
android01
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@android01 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@android01 wrote:

*cough* 11 months, oh the horror! Smiley Wink

Just kidding of course, it's still a ludicrously fantastic backdate; oh how I wish I'd opened up an Amex back in the day when I could've gotten one shortly after my first attempt at college.

Ugh...Worse than I thought. Smiley Wink

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 14 of 30
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i dont know if its me or not but on my charge my due date varies but only by a day one month it was one 21st the next it was the 22 and one was 23. so i assume amex charge cards may not fall in to the CARD act as its not a credit card.  but i may still keep my zync as i feel there is more of a "prestige" with having a amex charge card. just might get rid of a pack or two. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 15 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@afbar1114 wrote:

i dont know if its me or not but on my charge my due date varies but only by a day one month it was one 21st the next it was the 22 and one was 23. so i assume amex charge cards may not fall in to the CARD act as its not a credit card.  but i may still keep my zync as i feel there is more of a "prestige" with having a amex charge card. just might get rid of a pack or two. 

Not arguing with your plan, but prestige in whose eyes? (just curious) I don't know that lenders care.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 30
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

Not arguing with your plan, but prestige in whose eyes? (just curious) I don't know that lenders care.

when i got the zync my family was in pressed with it because most of them never could get except my dad. although some of my family members could get it they just never did.

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Message 17 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@afbar1114 wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

when i got the zync my family was in pressed with it because most of them never could get except my dad. although some of my family members could get it they just never did.

OK, fair enough. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 30
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

and a mall by me had a lounge during the holidays for charge card memebers only. i thought it was really odd. but it also seems like you get more perks with charge cards then one does with the credit cards.  i do plan on getting BCP next year just trying to see if i would keep zync. like i have said before i think my "magic number" is 5 cards with one of those 5 cards being my kohls. as i will also keep the 123, chase, and undecied what other two cards will fill those slots. 

Message 19 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

I think the "prestige" is based on whose perspective.

Generally, Amex will have the best "customer service" for fee based cards, and the charge card is their flagship product.  For some from the older generation, the charge card will always be the quintessential Amex product, which is why their most exclusive card--the Black--is still just a charge card.  They view a charge card as a person who has the money to pay for everything charged, unlike a credit card that can be financed over time.  While not prestigious per se, in some circles people to take notice that when using a charge card, you're essentiall using cash.  The charge card is ultimately more a reflection of spending ability and income stream than credit worthiness.

Credit wise, the Amex revolvers have more prestige than the charge cards, especially when you consider it's more difficult to be approved for a revolver than any of the charge cards, except for the Centurion.  Seeing someone with an Amex charge card gives very little insight on a person's credit worthiness, while it may be assumed that a person with an Amex revolver has excellent credit history and worthiness.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.