cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replace amex charge with amex credit?

tag
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: replace amex charge with amex credit?

ok fair enough. i may may not get rid of zync when i get BCP

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 21 of 30
FrugalRican
Blogger

You're worrying yourself over something that is a year away. Just enjoy the Zync for now, and then worry about what to do, once if and when you get the BCP.

The problem with planning too much, is that sometimes, you don't plan for what you think wasn't possible to happen.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 22 of 30
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Your right enjoy what i have now and work on getting the limits better and see where i am at in a year. Who knows maybe the cards i have now wont change!!!
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Message 23 of 30
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

I think i main issue isb bigger limits and not what cards i have

Message 24 of 30
FicoTron
Established Contributor

At least it's only a soft pull if you aren't approved for the revolver though. I just got a gold and plan to go for a revolver in january of next year. I may pc my gold to a Zync before the AF hits too, depending on how the reward points work out for me until then.
EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 25 of 30
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

i dont know if its me or not but on my charge my due date varies but only by a day one month it was one 21st the next it was the 22 and one was 23. so i assume amex charge cards may not fall in to the CARD act as its not a credit card.  but i may still keep my zync as i feel there is more of a "prestige" with having a amex charge card. just might get rid of a pack or two. 

I think the "prestige" is based on whose perspective.

Generally, Amex will have the best "customer service" for fee based cards, and the charge card is their flagship product.  For some from the older generation, the charge card will always be the quintessential Amex product, which is why their most exclusive card--the Black--is still just a charge card.  They view a charge card as a person who has the money to pay for everything charged, unlike a credit card that can be financed over time.  While not prestigious per se, in some circles people to take notice that when using a charge card, you're essentiall using cash.  The charge card is ultimately more a reflection of spending ability and income stream than credit worthiness.

Credit wise, the Amex revolvers have more prestige than the charge cards, especially when you consider it's more difficult to be approved for a revolver than any of the charge cards, except for the Centurion.  Seeing someone with an Amex charge card gives very little insight on a person's credit worthiness, while it may be assumed that a person with an Amex revolver has excellent credit history and worthiness.

While this is true, I can't help but wonder if this only affects us FICO geeks. I think that the average person regards a person who holds ANY Amex card as being creditworthy. We, OTOH, tend to be more cognizant of the distinctions between the various cards.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 26 of 30
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@FicoTron wrote:
At least it's only a soft pull if you aren't approved for the revolver though. I just got a gold and plan to go for a revolver in january of next year. I may pc my gold to a Zync before the AF hits too, depending on how the reward points work out for me until then.

Dont say that lol now i wanna go app for it if its only a sp

Message 27 of 30
FrugalRican
Blogger

@tinuviel wrote:

@Open123 wrote:
 Seeing someone with an Amex charge card gives very little insight on a person's credit worthiness, while it may be assumed that a person with an Amex revolver has excellent credit history and worthiness.

While this is true, I can't help but wonder if this only affects us FICO geeks. I think that the average person regards a person who holds ANY Amex card as being creditworthy. We, OTOH, tend to be more cognizant of the distinctions between the various cards.

Color me ignorant, but up until a year ago, I thought American Express was just another credit card, that Discover was a joke, and all cholesterol is bad for you.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 28 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

Credit wise, the Amex revolvers have more prestige than the charge cards, especially when you consider it's more difficult to be approved for a revolver than any of the charge cards, except for the Centurion.  Seeing someone with an Amex charge card gives very little insight on a person's credit worthiness, while it may be assumed that a person with an Amex revolver has excellent credit history and worthiness.

I'm sure you're right in that only we Fico/credit enthusiasts are so in tune with the subtleties and nuances of credit products.

I find everyone around me extremely puzzled why I would take such an interest in credit such as the pros and cons of different cards, the fico scoring formula, and the reading and posting on forums such as this one.  These days, I can't help but notice what card others are using.  I'm sure a few times people must have thought I was either nosy or a potential robber eyeing their wallet/purse.

I'm sure by and large, no one really notices or even cares what cards a person uses.  The only exception to this is when it's a business related event where sometimes the card one uses is noticed, for better or worse.

Message 29 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@Open123 wrote:
 Seeing someone with an Amex charge card gives very little insight on a person's credit worthiness, while it may be assumed that a person with an Amex revolver has excellent credit history and worthiness.

Color me ignorant, but up until a year ago, I thought American Express was just another credit card, that Discover was a joke, and all cholesterol is bad for you.

Hey, don't even get me going on the LDL/HDL ratios...LOL

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.