Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

returned BT check to AMEX--penalty APR

tag
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

returned BT check to AMEX--penalty APR

I had my bank send a BT check to Amex. After the 18th day of it not being cashed, I had my bank send another in its place. AMEX eventually tried to cash the 1st check and it was returned due to the stop payment my bank put on it. Now, I have a notice saying my APR will be 29% due to a returned payment. I have a perfect history for 1 year and 4 months of a lot purchases and 100% on time and early payments. Note: I was not, nor have I ever been late on a payment with any creditor. This was just a returned payment technically. 

What at are the odds of them removing this for me when I call them? Any experience? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: returned BT check to AMEX--penalty APR

At this point the worst Amex can do is say no and stand by the penalty APR, but they should still hear you out.  How long did you wait for the first BT check before requesting a replacement?  In the future I would continue to make the minimum payment until the BT posts, but what's done is done.

Message 2 of 3
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

Re: returned BT check to AMEX--penalty APR

@B335is wrote:

At this point the worst Amex can do is say no and stand by the penalty APR.  In the future I would continue to make the minimum payment until the BT posts, but what's done is done.

I get that and understand that the worst they can do is say no and stand by their insane policy, and it's their "right" to do so. The assumption was that the check was lost, not delayed. I sent another BT to Amex from my wife's NFCU card and it was credited in 6 days. . The BT was already reflecting on my nfcu card so I'm not going to let that sit there without a payment on the other end forever. I would think the returned payment fee they charged me would be enough, but I guess not.

My my question is, has anyone dealt with them in this respect before? 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.