Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revolutioncard is HOT to the MAX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

revolutioncard is HOT to the MAX

Wanted to share some information about a new credit card that's making it's way into the wallets of millions throughout the US, the revolutioncard. While it offers some really exciting features, I'd considered one particularly pointed toward the ever popular topic of FICO scoring.

So to start, a little education for some friendos who seemed lacking at my last mention of this exciting new card:

"Account balance increases – How these affect your FICO® score

A balance increase on an account may lower your FICO® score.

A large balance on an account, or balances on many accounts, can be a sign that you may be having trouble paying back debts. Since your FICO® score measures the chances that you will pay back a debt, larger balances or balances on more accounts can lower your score.

"Maxing out" a credit card or other line of credit is when the balance on the account comes close to the account's credit limit. This can dramatically lower your FICO® score because it is often a sign of a consumer who desperately needs credit and may not be able to pay it back.

The drop in your FICO® score caused by a balance increase can be reversed by paying down the balance."

Credit cards like the revolutioncard are in effect great tools to have when you're establishing credit. While revolutioncard offers MANY fantastic features, lets compare what we just read above, to one of the revolutioncard's best attributes of all. Incidentally, the information above is quoted directly from the myFICO consumer credit service.

Non-reporting to the credit reporting agencies. Yes that's right, the revolutioncard does not currently report to any of the three major credit reporting agencies. What does this mean to the card holder? It means plenty....

Comparing the informative quote above to the revolutioncard we find it possible to:

1- Induce any kind of balance increase you can charge up on your revolutioncard without worrying about lowering your FICO score.

2- Hold or carry a large balance on your revolutioncard without it having an impact on your FICO score.

3- MAX OUT a revolutioncard for whim or good reason, and yes once again, NOT find yourself worrying about the effect it would otherwise most certainly have on your FICO score, had it not been a revolutioncard you MAXED OUT.

While these more than seem like big benefits, they amount to even more when you actually exercise the use of the revolutioncard to offset the insignificantly small credit lines that you are subject to when you're establishing credit. Consider that to demonstrate to the credit reporting agencies that you use your available credit most responsibly, you must as a rule of thumb take care to not let your card report a balance of I ALWAYS say no more than 9% of your assigned credit limit. This leaves you working with a very low amount of credit indeed. It is a frustrating truth to many, but by the revolutioncard not reporting such account details, you're able to access your credit limit to its FULLEST, without the fear of having your FICO score suffer.

If you have questions or comments, please consider the revolutioncard website where you may check out lots of information and even apply for a revolutioncard. Online applications are easy, secure, and offer approvals in seconds. Once you have your card, you can manage it completely online as well.

Gosh, that seemed like a lot to say. Sure was easy though, since as they say:

If you don't anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Re: revolutioncard is HOT to the MAX

Well for a card taht does not report to the CBs they certainly do pull from them and rely on the information to make their decision to grant or not grant credit.  I applied for this about three months ago.  I had read that they were not so easy to get, but thought I would give a try.  It worked out in the end because I got a Paypal Buyers Credit account, which works in the same way and is accepted at merchants I actually use.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revolution is being publicly positioned to compete against Paypal. To quote:

""We want to become for social networks what PayPal is for EBay," Ted Leonsis, chairman for Revolution Money, said last month at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco.", Information Week, November, 2007

"Revolution Money Raises $50M to Take on PayPal", Venturebeat, September 25, 2007

attain, since you are advocating for it, can you shed some light on what competitive edge it has over PayPal?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an additional note, if you read the articles above the executives and venture backers do not claim lack of reporting to a CRA as differentiating feature. Instead, they point to lower transaction costs.

If Revolution becomes successful, I would expect there is a good chance they will report to CRAs, especially once people start defaulting on cards. They're probably not reporting to CRAs now simply because they're a startup.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smells like junk to me
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

14 links to Revolution's website in the OP's first post. Seems like an attempt to drive up search engine rankings via cross-site linkings to me.

Mods, do we have a policy about using MyFICO forum for promotional purposes?
Message 6 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OK, here we go again on a new thread.

Valid points on each side: it's perfectly fine to discuss new credit products, especially when they're kind of off-the-wall like this one, which can possibly be used as a safety card which wouldn't report. On the other hand, while one single link to an issuer in order to help other members find out more info is perfectly appropriate, that many is certainly unnecessary.

In addition, these two threads have both had way too many personal attacks going on. If you're going to start a thread, you're going to have to expect disagreement. And if you're going to disagree, you need to keep it to an "I think this isn't so great, because yada yada yada", without all the insinuations of personal crap. This is meant to apply to all posters, OP and replying posters, BTW.

I'm locking both the Revolution threads in hopes that people will calm down and figure how to post a spirited discussion of its merits and weaknesses without all the other stuff going on.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.