Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revolving balance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

revolving balance?

I have been carrying a 2,500k revolving balance on both Providian and Citi Dividend, for about 6-7 months now. I know to always pay AMEX Blue Cash in full. My PFICO score, as shown on Wamu, is stuck/still at 750. Things are pretty tight at the moment, but I won't let that discourage me. I've been paying way over than the minimum and always on time. Two things, but first I'm just afraid that carrying a revolving balance for so long might have a negative effect later on. Not sure about my Providian, but on Citi's account summary it says I'm at 12.99%, which is not great but not bad either. Would it be ballsy to ask for a lower apr?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: revolving balance?

thatdoodjohn wrote:
I have been carrying a 2,500k revolving balance on both Providian and Citi Dividend, for about 6-7 months now. I know to always pay AMEX Blue Cash in full. My PFICO score, as shown on Wamu, is stuck/still at 750. Things are pretty tight at the moment, but I won't let that discourage me. I've been paying way over than the minimum and always on time. Two things, but first I'm just afraid that carrying a revolving balance for so long might have a negative effect later on. Not sure about my Providian, but on Citi's account summary it says I'm at 12.99%, which is not great but not bad either. Would it be ballsy to ask for a lower apr?

Absolutely not!  There's really no harm in asking.  As far as FICO is concerned, carrying a revolving balance for a while will not harm you in the long run, since there is no historical aspect to the utilization part of your score.  It always represents a snapshot of your utilization at the time the score is generated, regardless of what your balances were last month or even yesterday.

Also, WaMu (Providian) and Citi in particular have been known to show a little luv to cardholders who carry a balance for a bit but make large payments to pay it down over time.  Just make sure you continue to pay it down, and don't charge it up again before it is paid off!

2,500K = $2.5 million, which I hope is not what you meant. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-09-2008 01:40 PM
Message 2 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

cheddar wrote:

2,500K = $2.5 million, which I hope is not what you meant. Smiley Wink

We gotta get some real scientists in here!! Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

haha oops my bad! I just got out of a four-hour summer class and my brain is like x_O plus I should probably eat something!

Yes, $2,500. Smiley Tongue

I read somewhere about someone who stopped using their Citi, PIF, and got a generous CLI because Citi got scared that the user is trying to close their account. Sounds genius!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm so embarrassed now! First I can't spell. Now I can't count either. Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

thatdoodjohn wrote:
I'm so embarrassed now! First I can't spell. Now I can't count either. Smiley Very Happy

You must have been to college  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:

thatdoodjohn wrote: I'm so embarrassed now! First I can't spell. Now I can't count either. Smiley Very Happy
You must have been to college  Smiley Very Happy

maybe Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by thatdoodjohn on 07-09-2008 02:02 PM
Message 7 of 8
biturbomunkie
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Would it be ballsy to ask for a lower apr?

not at all. i just called citi after reading your thread. the very courteous CSR asked what IR i'd like and i told him 10.99% (which is 1% lower than the lowest advertised APR for my card). and he gave that on the spot!

i didn't think the IR can go lower than advertised. how does citi determined APR? maybe i should have asked for 8.99%, lol.

i'd say go for it. but be prepared for a longer than expected conversation - the CSR kept pushing me to apply for some preapproved card w/ 0% intro APR. i told him no numerous times cos i didn't think i'd get approved - recent app spree + no luck with citi luv button. also, i'd rather have my CL grow than opening a new TL w/ the same CCC.

good luck! =)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.