Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rewards vs no rewards on employer-issued AmEx cards

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

rewards vs no rewards on employer-issued AmEx cards

After all this time, I finally got DH to call AmEx to find out if he was sitting on a half million points (he wasn't.) He's had an employer-issued corporate green card for 21 years. He pays the bill, and the employer reimburses. Unlike many other members here, he didn't seem to have rewards.

The deal is that if he wants to pay $75/year, they will enroll the card in Membership Rewards. Alas, no credit for all the charges he's had over the years. He probably puts about $10K of charges on it a year, and the fee would be the equivalent of 7500 points, so he isn't going to bother.

But if anyone is in a similar situation, you can collect rewards if you're willing to pay.

My guess is that the employers have the option of choosing to let employees get points or not --probably a lower fee for them if they don't, or something.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: rewards vs no rewards on employer-issued AmEx cards

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
After all this time, I finally got DH to call AmEx to find out if he was sitting on a half million points (he wasn't.) He's had an employer-issued corporate green card for 21 years. He pays the bill, and the employer reimburses. Unlike many other members here, he didn't seem to have rewards.

The deal is that if he wants to pay $75/year, they will enroll the card in Membership Rewards. Alas, no credit for all the charges he's had over the years. He probably puts about $10K of charges on it a year, and the fee would be the equivalent of 7500 points, so he isn't going to bother.

But if anyone is in a similar situation, you can collect rewards if you're willing to pay.

My guess is that the employers have the option of choosing to let employees get points or not --probably a lower fee for them if they don't, or something.

Yes, the fee paid by the employer for a rewards card is higher. My employer also has preferred supplier agreements with certain airlines, hotel chains, and so forth; one must justify using a non-preferred vendor because the preferred supplier contracts commit us to giving them at least a specified percentage of our spend. In addition to discounted rates and rebates, our contracts also have some other terms of importance to us, such as "last room availability." Only big companies can get "last room availability," which says if the hotel has ANY rooms available at the time I book the reservation than I get the contracted rate, even if it's Homecoming weekend at their local college or somesuch. A couple years ago my company stopped allowing employees to use Membership Rewards because it reduced the rebate the company got or something, I forget the exact details.

Some companies, not mine yet, also consider any frequent-flyer miles earned by flights for which they have paid to be company property to be redeemed on business travel only.

Message Edited by MattH on 06-21-2008 09:15 AM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.