Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rotating 5% vs booking hotels

tag
etothejomegan
Valued Member

rotating 5% vs booking hotels

The rotating 5% cards (Freedom, More, Dividend) are offering 5% CB on hotels for July-September.

Let's say I book a hotel right now, check in on September 29th, and leave on October 2nd, will the charge be within the July-September timeframe for 5% CB?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: rotating 5% vs booking hotels

@etothejomegan wrote:

The rotating 5% cards (Freedom, More, Dividend) are offering 5% CB on hotels for July-September.

Let's say I book a hotel right now, check in on September 29th, and leave on October 2nd, will the charge be within the July-September timeframe for 5% CB?

Unless you prepay for your stay (some hotels offer this), the hotel won't actually charge your card until checkout. So you wouldn't be charged until 10/2/2011. I believe the purchase needs to post in the category time frame.

Message 2 of 7
dp321
Regular Contributor

I think if use travel website like hotel.com or travelocity, most of their offers are advanced payment anyway.

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
john398
Senior Contributor

is priceline.com count as a hotel for chase?

Message 4 of 7
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

For me, a 5% savings on a hotel stay isn't worth the stay not being cancellable/refundable.

I see those lower non-refundable, pre-pay prices all the time, but they don't seem worth it until they hit the 15%-25% range. I've had to cancel enough trips over the year alone to know that there's always a risk I won't actually use the reservation when I make it.

Message 5 of 7
cdtotten
Established Contributor

This was discussed recently if you do a search, but no... discount travel sites such as orbitz, expedia, priceline, etc. do not qualify for the 5% cash back bonus... only purchasing directly from the hotel, airline, etc.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
etothejomegan
Valued Member

Also, does anyone know if booking a plane ticket through Ultimate Reward this month will qualify for the standard 2x points back and the 5% rotating airline CB?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.