Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sapphire preferred AF worth it?

tag
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Re: sapphire preferred AF worth it?

The Marriott is like my IHG card,  one free night,  but af is less.

Message 11 of 20
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@ways2go wrote:

Yeah but you are comparing a Honda with a Lamborghini lol 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 12 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@ways2go wrote:

Yeah but you are comparing a Honda with a Lamborghini lol 

What does that mean?   Are you referring to the benefits of each card?

Message 13 of 20
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

If one is a Honda and one is a Lambo. Mariott is clearly the Honda. Higher AF, low tier awarded and you only get to stay in catergory 1-5 hotels with your free night. IHG gives you their highest tier for free, lower AF, ten percent refund when you use points and you can stay at any hotel including Intercontinentals. I'm using my nights at the 550USD/NT IC London. It's right in westminster close to shopping and the tube. By contrast the only Mariott catergory 5 in London are the 80 dollar a night ones out by the airport. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 14 of 20
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

They just changed some of the perks and I am about to close mine. They are discontinuing the 7% annual spend dividend bonus so that is a deal breaker for me

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 15 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

Whether the CSP is worth the AF depends on the individual. For those who do not travel much, or do not use the chase travel partners then its not really worth it. The main value of the card IMHO is the ability to transfer to travel partners. I have one of the ink cards, so I will definetly downgrade the CSP when the AF comes due. For someone who wants to redeem with chase travel partners and does not have an ink card then the CSP is the only option by default. If your not putting a decent amount through the card then the return will not be that great and probably would not justify the AF. Of course,  if you have a chase bank account and are putting most your spend through the freedom with the 10% bonus then the CSP may be worth keeping in the SD except for restaurant spend, so you can transfer all those chase points from your freedom spend. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 16 of 20
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Whether the CSP is worth the AF depends on the individual. For those who do not travel much, or do not use the chase travel partners then its not really worth it. The main value of the card IMHO is the ability to transfer to travel partners. I have one of the ink cards, so I will definetly downgrade the CSP when the AF comes due. For someone who wants to redeem with chase travel partners and does not have an ink card then the CSP is the only option by default. If your not putting a decent amount through the card then the return will not be that great and probably would not justify the AF. Of course,  if you have a chase bank account and are putting most your spend through the freedom with the 10% bonus then the CSP may be worth keeping in the SD except for restaurant spend, so you can transfer all those chase points from your freedom spend. 

the metal part alone is worth $95 dollars a year imo unless you are hurting for the Cash. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 17 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

the metal part alone is worth $95 dollars a year imo unless you are hurting for the Cash. 

I would never pay an AF just to have a metal card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 18 of 20
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Can anyone confirm if this is still a thing? I contacted Chase last year for my bonus and they said this program wasn't available to new accounts ( I opened my card about a year ago). They did give me 10K points because of the confusion but as far as I can tell that benefit doesn't exist anymore.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 19 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Can anyone confirm if this is still a thing? I contacted Chase last year for my bonus and they said this program wasn't available to new accounts ( I opened my card about a year ago). They did give me 10K points because of the confusion but as far as I can tell that benefit doesn't exist anymore.

There was a 10points + 10% program, this was closed for new applicants and is meant to go away for all at the end of 2013, but several people seem to still have it.

The replacement program, 10% on all points earned including bonuses, is available for new accounts.   Contact them again and maybe get more apology points!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.