cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

score needed for B of A secured? I was denied!

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

score needed for B of A secured? I was denied!

i have a checking account with B of A and heard great things about their secured card, so i applied and was denied. i couldn't even believe it. what score do you need to get approved for this overrated card?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Bella1980
Established Contributor

Re: score needed for B of A secured? I was denied!

I thinkj you need a mid 500s and above with not too many bad accounts.

What was your score?

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 21
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

they pulled EX which is my lowest score of 489.

i am expecting success in getting a collection of less than a year old removed. my guess is i will get 35 points when that happens. maybe i should re-apply then.

Message Edited by CreditDrama85 on 08-09-2008 05:23 PM
Message 3 of 21
Bella1980
Established Contributor

I would definetly suggest that. Where you applying for the 99/500 or the fully secured card?

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you apply for it ? I got it when I was new to this country (no history at all). I filed the application with the help of a CSR at a branch near my school. She also transfered the deposit from my saving account to a new account from which I could not withdraw money (but still under my name). At that time no one told me there was denial for this type of card (probably because the branch is seeking business from school and students).
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you need a higher credit score and establish some credit with the cards you have now if you have any if not try capital one and orch for strarter cards! gl
Message 6 of 21
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I was denied for the fully secured with an EX FICO of approx. 575. I built my score up and applied 2-3 months later for the Plat. Plus and was denied, but counter-offered for a 99/500 with a EX of 640 or so.

Message Edited by llecs on 08-09-2008 08:58 PM
Message 7 of 21
Geordi
Regular Contributor

@Bella1980 wrote:
I would definetly suggest that. Where you applying for the 99/500 or the fully secured card?

You cannot apply for the 99/500 card. That card is ONLY available as a counter-offer from Bank of America when you apply for a Bank of America credit card and do not meet the requirements for a totally unsecured card. However, you CAN apply for a fully secured card.
Message 8 of 21
Bella1980
Established Contributor

I know.....I wasn't sure if the op had been offered that card as you can still get denied for it even after they offer it.

@Geordi wrote:

@Bella1980 wrote:

You cannot apply for the 99/500 card. That card is ONLY available as a counter-offer from Bank of America when you apply for a Bank of America credit card and do not meet the requirements for a totally unsecured card. However, you CAN apply for a fully secured card.

Message 9 of 21
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

Mine was mid 500s, a fairly serious baddie (unpaid tax lien- but it’s old- 2003), several lates (more than I can count offhand), messed up student loans, 2 charged off ccs, etc.  on the + side, I had other ccs (orchards, first premiers) opened for 1 yr and had not had any baddies since 03.  applied for platinum plus and got the 99/500 counteroffer.  Can’t wait for it to unsecure b/c it will put me back in prime land- and the land of 4 digit CLs.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.