cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scores are up need help choosing prime cards.

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: scores are up need help choosing prime cards.

As far as customer service goes... NFCU is way up there with Discover in my book.  I think if you go with NFCU you'll be happy because the fees are low for the Flagship card, and its backed by NFCU's 24/7 live US based representatives.

Also, your CL with NFCU will be high.. giving you the flexibility you need to make purchases and charges.

Other than NFCU, my second favorite is Discover, then Amex.   Amex Membership Rewards team is very friendly...  If you spend more than 30k per year on CCs, you should look at making PRG your "go-to" card...  as the MR can be very valuable when transferred to airlines.

Chase Sapphire Preferred is a good card in my opinion, but there is not a good reason in my opinion to have both CSP and PRG.  

PRG gives you 2X MR on gas, groceries, and travel booked through Amex Travel.  PRG gives you 4X points on airfare booked through Amex travel.

PRG has a flexible credit limit, as well as "Pay Over Time"    Authorized User cards are free, and the spending on this card does not count against your Utilization...   Also, the internal limits grow like crazy over time.   I recently made over 10k worth of purchases in one month using PRG with no issues

Another Product with NFCU that goes un-mentioned is the NavCheck.   It is an overdraft line of credit that can be accessed by intentionally overdrafting your account, or by writing a check from your handy dandy Line of Credit checkbook.   These checks get processed by retailers or vendors in the same way as normal checks.  You have the flexibility of writing a check to yourself, for fast access to cash, with no cash advance fees, no ATM fees, and no credit card swipe fees.   Your vendors or retailers also have no swipe fees when cashing or depositing the NavCheck that you wrote to them.

The NavCheck LOC counts as a revolving LOC which helps your Utilization %.  You dont have to worry about Adverse Action from not utilizing any of your NFCU cards or your NAVcheck... Its there when you need it, otherwise you can forget about it and still NFCU will be happy.

Rates for Auto loans with NFCU can be very competitive, even more competitive than dealer promotions.   In October 2012 I applied for a new car loan, 45k over the phone with NFCU.  Within two days they sent me a check which could be used anytime within the next 60 days or any new car or recently used (less than 10k miles and less than 1 yr old) car.   The check could be made out to up to 125% of the cars NADA value.. so no downpayment was required.   I did make a DP on the car, but that was for my own peace of mind.

The great thing was that there was no haggling, I didn't send any documents, I walked into the dealership with my financing already secured at 1.79% which beat the current best rate of 2.99% that the dealership was offering through their finance partner.   It was nice Smiley Very Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: scores are up need help choosing prime cards.

@pineappledaydreams wrote:
Best visa?
American express?
MC?

Travel rewards with no annual fee is non-existent.  You can have a no annual fee travel statement credit card, but everything that particpates in a true rewards program (UR, MR and SPG) will have a fee associated with the card.

No annual fee travel cards:

1.  Best Visa - BofA Travel Rewards - No forex, no annual fee, 1.5% on all spending and EMV chip.  If you venture to some areas especially in Europe, you can't use the magnectic strip cards.  Without an EMV chip, forget buying a train ticket.

2.  Blue Sky - no annual fee with statement credits for travel where 7,500 can be redeemed for $100 credit.  Limited use as a travel card since it has a forex fee, unless your travel you're only interested in domestic travel.

3.  MC - Barclay Arrival - no fee version.  Ah, no fee and no forex, nothing else available.

All the no fee versions are underwhelming.  More compelling cards open up when an annual fee is introduced.  With no fee cards, cash is much better, such as:  (1) Fid Amex with no fee 2% cashback; (2) Barclay Price line with no fee 2% on all spend; (3) if you're in CA or Hawaii, JCP Murakai with no fee 3% cash on all spend. Those three are the best no fee non-category specific cards in the market today.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.