cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

secured card needed that automaticly turns unsecured without applying again?

tag
Geordi
Regular Contributor

Re: secured card needed that automaticly turns unsecured without applying again?

@johnpalley wrote:
Geordi , you just got me so exited!!!! guys do you all think bank of america would maybe give me another chance with a secured credit card even though i have a charge off from 4 years ago that i never paid? it was around $4000. they sold the dept to a collection agency. let me also say that i am an authorized user on my mothers boa credit card that has a 25,000 dollar credit limit with perfect history. Message Edited by johnpalley on 08-06-2008 02:30 PM

Message Edited by johnpalley on 08-06-2008 02:30 PM

Personally, I think the fact that you are an AU on your mother's account is a good sign. However, as with EVERYTHING dealing with credit issues: YMMV

GL
Message 11 of 61
johnpalley
Established Contributor

Re: secured card needed that automaticly turns unsecured without applying again?

Geordi, i just called bank of america and they told me that it doesnt work how you said. they said down the line i have to re apply. so there goes that. i also talked to first national bank and they said the only way to get a secured card is to go to a branch and that is impossible for me because im in boston. i think wells fargo works the same way also.

Message Edited by johnpalley on 08-06-2008 03:07 PM
Message 12 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

johnpalley wrote:
Geordi, i just called bank of america and they told me that it doesnt work how you said. they said down the line i have to re apply. so there goes that. i also talked to first national bank and they said the only way to get a secured card is to go to a branch and that is impossible for me because im in boston. i think wells fargo works the same way also.

I think BOFA told u a lie lol there have been many threads here where people's secured cards turned into unsecured card in 9 to 12 months. Allot of times it's who you talk to at these banks cause some folks don't no what they be talking about. An if you still have a collection with them most likely they will not give you another chance.

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 08-06-2008 03:17 PM

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 08-06-2008 03:19 PM
Message 13 of 61
johnpalley
Established Contributor

concorduser, i researched all of the banks you mentioned and none of those banks automaticly turn unsecured without reapplying. i hope someone knows a bank somewhere.
Message 14 of 61
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

I'm pretty sure the BofA will turn after 9-12 months, if not automatically, certainly it will be approved if you apply. I've never heard of anyone in this board NOT receiving the unsecured card after 9-12 months with BofA.
08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 15 of 61
johnpalley
Established Contributor

mjbfan79 , maybe your right. i want a boa credit card in the future anyway. maybe i should get a secured card and then just see what happens. has any one of you all ever got a boa card after a charge off in the past that was unpaid like me.
Message 16 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

johnpalley wrote:
mjbfan79 , maybe your right. i want a boa credit card in the future anyway. maybe i should get a secured card and then just see what happens. has any one of you all ever got a boa card after a charge off in the past that was unpaid like me.

Just apply for is an let us no the results.

Message 17 of 61
Geordi
Regular Contributor

@johnpalley wrote:

JohnPalley,

Since I am not going to argue with what you heard on the phone, if you REALLY want to know how Bank of America's Secured Card Program works then:

1) Call Bank of America
2) Have the CSR transfer you to the SECURED CARD DIVISION
3) Ask your questions to the division that will be responsible for your secured account

When my card was secured, the normal CSRs would always tell me stuff that did not apply to the secured card division.

Just do yourself a favor and speak directly with the department that would be handling secured cards.

GL
Message 18 of 61
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

pretty sure if you had a charge off with bank of america, you made yourself NOT elligable for any future products with them secured or not.
The bofa card will unsecure in 9-12 months but it will cost you a hard inq. but i have not heard of someone being declined for it.

Usbank I had long time ago and after 12 months they told me no to unsecure, so I didn't try it this time around when looking for secured.
Message 19 of 61
johnpalley
Established Contributor

im applying for the bank of america card as we speak but since i have to mail a check in i wont be able to get an answer now. so i will let you all know what happens.
Message 20 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.