Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

secured cards

tag
Goodness
Regular Contributor

secured cards

i am trying to build my credit have the cap 1 secured card. I need 2 more, can someone suggest some good cards to get. I have tried several shopping carts tricks with different stores no luck. Got denied for the VS card.does anyone know the min score for aprroval

EQ 645 EX 651 TU 703 fico 8 (5/15)
MORTAGE SCORES EQ 665 EX 604 TU 688 (5/15)
Goal 700 by end of 2015
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

Re: secured cards

@Goodness wrote:

i am trying to build my credit have the cap 1 secured card. I need 2 more, can someone suggest some good cards to get. I have tried several shopping carts tricks with different stores no luck. Got denied for the VS card.does anyone know the min score for aprroval

How long have you had the Cap One secured cards? With scores that low I can't think of any secured cards that would accept you, that was the problem I ran in to myself.  I waited till 4 months and my score was 610 and I got a quicksilver one and two months later I got a local bank card. 

You might be able to get a local Credit Union but I wouldn't be to hopeful.

Message 2 of 9
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

You should wait 6 mos after opening an account to apply for more. It might be best to wait a little bit before applying. Credit is a triathlon not a sprint.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 9
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
You should wait 6 mos after opening an account to apply for more. It might be best to wait a little bit before applying. Credit is a triathlon not a sprint.

Love that explanation!  

Getting all the cards is a amazing feeling,  especially if you go from no credit to a sudden amount but by applying quickly you miss out on the ones you want and settle, or get the ones you want at worse terms with lower limits.

Message 4 of 9
GooseGirl
Contributor

SDFCU secured card won't require a HP. That is a good option if scores are low.

Starting Score: EQ 541 (lender pull July 2012)
Current Score: EQ FICO 673, TU08 648, EX FICO 654
Next Goal Score: 680
Message 5 of 9
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

garden and monitor your score until they are at least in the 550 range. others cards you could add are BoA, FNBO, WF, USBank, or  First Progress. All graduate except First Progress.

Message 6 of 9
LiberatedRN
Contributor

Hi,

I know that Open Sky has a secured card without a credit check, they just require a deposit, and Identity verification. The interest rate is high, and it will never become an unsecured card, but it may be worth you checking into if you can't get anything else. They do report to all 3 credit agencies. Also, have you tried the Fingerhut Fresh Start Program? They do a hard pull, but I think they accept low credit scores.  They also report to all 3 agencies, and if you do well in the program, I believe it turns into a regular line of credit that will give frequent credit limit increases. Read thru the forums, they have a lot of information about both Open Sky and Fingerhut.. I think they may be good options to help re-establish  credit if you are having a difficult time getting credit.  Please carefully do your research on them, to see if they work for you and your situation. I am just now trying to rebuild my credit also, and these are two of the options that I chose.  Good luck with your search and the rebuilding process!

Officially in the Garden: 2-7-15 till 2-7-16 EQ 711 TU 735 EX 709 (Goal Score 750) (current accounts and inquiries need to age)AmexBlueCashPreferred$6.5K /CDP$6.3K/CitiDblCash$1.5k/Discover$4K/AmexGRN / ChaseFreedom$3.5K /Chase Disney$2.5K/ShopHQ$3.8K/Ebates$3.5K/WilliamsSonoma$4.5K/ /Amazon$2.6K/ HSN$2.3K /Walmart$2.3K/JCrew$4.5K / QVC$2.8K/PayPalCredit$884/BOA(sec)$600/The Loft $1000/Target $500/JCPenney$400/VS$500Last App2-7-15
Message 7 of 9
ChargeItPlease
Regular Contributor

Give Fingerhut a try. I would also look into the SDFCU secured card: no credit check and no fees, plus you build a relationship with a credit union.

Starting Score: 400s (2011) Current: EQ 655 (01-2014) Goal: 700 Last app: 01-01-14. No apps 'til 12-2014!
Message 8 of 9
Goodness
Regular Contributor

i have had my captiol one secured cards 2 months and just did the fingerhut fresh start program. and have builder loan at my credit union...thanks to everyone for your advise this is had been a long hard journey for me. should have started yrs age but i learn the importance of credit now especially since i am finacially stable with good job, but cant get mortage loan...

EQ 645 EX 651 TU 703 fico 8 (5/15)
MORTAGE SCORES EQ 665 EX 604 TU 688 (5/15)
Goal 700 by end of 2015
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.