New Visitor
watchtower7777

secured credit card usage

I am in the process of cleaning up some credit report collections and recently applied/approved for 2 secured credit cards, one with a $1450 limit and the other with a $1000 limit.

What percentage of the available limit should I charge and pay in full each month?

My goal is to have collections removed as a condition of payment and have 1 years credit history in order to be able to buy a house with an FHA loan this time next year.

TIA

Mega Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: secured credit card usage

watchtower7777 wrote:

I am in the process of cleaning up some credit report collections and recently applied/approved for 2 secured credit cards, one with a $1450 limit and the other with a $1000 limit.

What percentage of the available limit should I charge and pay in full each month?

My goal is to have collections removed as a condition of payment and have 1 years credit history in order to be able to buy a house with an FHA loan this time next year.

TIA

Really up until about 2 months before you want to apply for mortgage you don't have to worry about util.  but if you want to keep util down, I would use the cards as much as you want through the month and then make a payment before the statement cuts to bring it under 9% of CL, then when bill comes, pay the remaining balance.

Fico Scores: EQ 657 Cabelas, TU 662 Walmart, EX 699 Wells (07-27-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Express $300
Over 40 Cards in between :smileytongue:
New Visitor
watchtower7777

Uhh....I really don't want to send 2 checks a month....any responsible answers?  What percentage should be used?

Mega Contributor
Creditaddict

watchtower7777 wrote:

Uhh....I really don't want to send 2 checks a month....any responsible answers?  What percentage should be used?

less than 9% of CL if you just want to pay once a month.

do you really still mail checks? I use my banks bill pay, payments are made electronically in 1 day.

Fico Scores: EQ 657 Cabelas, TU 662 Walmart, EX 699 Wells (07-27-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Express $300
Over 40 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Creditaddict wrote:

watchtower7777 wrote:

less than 9% of CL if you just want to pay once a month.

do you really still mail checks? I use my banks bill pay, payments are made electronically in 1 day.

+ 1,000,000

Mailing checks is downright dangerous these days. You're at the mercy of the postal service, the mail-openers at the bank, the payment-posters at the bank, you name it.

I pay online and I screenshot the confirmation and save it. I write down the confirmation number in my checkbook register (yes, I am one of those dinosaurs who faithfully keep a check register, and it's balanced, too), and I save the e-mail payment confirmation.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
New Visitor
watchtower7777

Thanks for your 9% number.

New Visitor
watchtower7777

yes meant online thanks all

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

I have 3 secured credit cards. I often charge them to the 95% limit each month.  I make the minimum payment or more right after the statement cuts.   I pay in full before the due date.

The most important thin is never go over limit and never be late.

Whne you get with 3 months of mortgage app, then you move to the 9% reporting mode, which will boost your scores.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+