Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

secured credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: secured credit cards

To answer your question. Citi usually keeps their words 18months is 18months, no more and no less. That's how they are, i used to be their customer in 1997 with a secured card.

Bank of America when they said 9 months, it means really 9 months or even less. Its all depend on your payment history with them. Really it's all depend on your actions - if you treat your account good, it will treat you good. If not, the same will apply. That's all to it.

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Of the two, I think I'll try BoA. I guess the extra $100 isn't that bad since it's only tied up for half the time of Citi.

As I mentioned, I did enquire with CU's, but of the ones hat still exist in NYC, there are none that I could join according to their requirements. I saw some elsewhere that are even open to residents of almost an entire city, but not here unless there is some kind of employment, religious or fraternal connection. Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Oh, sorry, that's right; I remember now. Same deal in Chicago, I've heard. You can tell where the banking industry has a lot of input in local affairs!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, it's too bad. From what I've heard, I might not be shafted with the annual fee if it were a CU.
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah try out Bank of America secured card. I currently have a VISA Secured Card to reestabilish credit with them and looking forward to unsecured it after 9months. 

Credit Unions are a good place to start rebuilding credit. I had great experience with CU and they are the best financial services provider. Credit Unions offer lowest rates, no fees, excellent services. Basically EVERYTHING is good with Credit Union. They are willing to help all kind of customers.

Banks are good too but depend on which Banks. The only banks I like to work with are: American Express, Bank of AMerica and Citibank. I just hope Citi will approve me for a card. *cross my finger*

Message Edited by CreditCard101 on 03-14-2009 08:15 PM
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I submitted the Citi application March 5th, the check was cashed (2 days later) but I still get the "pending for verification" line from CS. Does that mean I was approved? Also.... If anyone has previously held the secured card, if it doesn't graduate after 18 month what happens, will there be another waiting period?

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, Citi cashed my check and sennt me a refund check a week later because it was denied. So to answer your question, just because they cashed your check does not mean you were approved. I would gibve them a call and see in the meantime. Good luck!
Message 17 of 26
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. Of the two, I think I'll try BoA. I guess the extra $100 isn't that bad since it's only tied up for half the time of Citi.

As I mentioned, I did enquire with CU's, but of the ones hat still exist in NYC, there are none that I could join according to their requirements. I saw some elsewhere that are even open to residents of almost an entire city, but not here unless there is some kind of employment, religious or fraternal connection. Smiley Sad

imho, a CU hook up is WAY too valuable and important an affiliation for you to commence to give up that easily, especially in this climate.

i live in nyc too.  broaden your search to regional (tri state area) for example there is a well reputed CU known for working with people and v. good cs (like most CUs) called Affinity that you ARE eligible for.  supposedly they have a "golden ticket" secured card offering.  i call it that because there is a rumor that it doesn't require a HP but don't know if that is true in actuality or if it used to be so and has since has changed.

you can just call them or app online and tell them you'd like to join the CU.  it will run you like 30 dollars or so to join one of their qualifying orgs in NJ which they can guide you to upon application.  if you app online there is a box to check if you aren't an employee or a member of one of the listed orgs but want to join.  gl.

https://www.affinityfcu.org/

Message Edited by score_building on 03-16-2009 01:29 PM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied.....Smiley Sad Will rebuild without'em!
Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

MadModder:

Yeah Credit Union can be hard to join. You can join through your employers, students at local University/College, or through family members. Once you join CU, you have many opportunities. The best connection is through College/University organization. I dont know what else to say if you cant join CU, so good luck.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.