Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seeking advice on closed account

tag
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

seeking advice on closed account

I posted a few days ago about my current credit cards and the lates that were on my reports. One of those cards being the Bank of America Secured Cash Rewards card, which has been paid and closed from february. It is closed because I had a 90 late. It was paid off and the deposit sent back to me. My question is, should I ask to re-open this account? I currently have really low limit cards (walmart 150, capone 300, orchard 400, capone 500) and I keep hearing that if you throw a lot of money on a secured card and apply later with another CCC they will at least match that limit. Is this corrent and would this be smart to do?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: seeking advice on closed account

You would need to open a new account, BOFA to my knowledge will not re-open a closed secured card account.

There's some truth to lenders matching CL's, and you can artificially goose up a secured card to a high limit if you have extra cash laying around... but if you don't have a few thousand you're willing to part with for the next 1-3 years, I wouldn't bother.  CL's will increase eventually so unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, it's not that worthwhile.  It can always be done later anyway.

Also for that particular venture, I'd recommend finding a secured card that's easy to increase the limit over time by an additional deposit: Cap 1 and USAA come to mind, there may be others.  BOFA is a HP every time for a CLI, even on their secured product.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.