cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shifting CL from one card to another--what happens to displayed highest balance?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

shifting CL from one card to another--what happens to displayed highest balance?

Hi, all--I'm looking at the lopsided CL's on my USAA AmEx and MC, and thinking about asking USAA if they will reallocate them. It's currently $30K on AmEx and $7K on the MC, and now that both cards are over a year old, I'm getting the same rewards on both of them. And like it or not, there are still small businesses that don't take AmEx.

So I'm thinking of making the MC $25K and the AmEx $12K, but I have a highest balance of $11K+ showing on my reports. It never reported on a statement (yikes!), but it's a balance that I once had mid-cycle.

If I drop the CL to $12K, it will look like I once maxed it out. And if I just switched the CL's, the AmEx would have $7K, and then it would look really bad.

I know that previous high balance isn't used for scoring, but I'm wondering about manual reviews. Anybody with experience or educated guesses on this? Or just the more common wild stabs in the dark? Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: shifting CL from one card to another--what happens to displayed highest balance?

it will still display your highest balance, not sure that really effects your score though as long as it's still not that high. I did this on Amex cards. looks kiing of funny when highest balance at one time was over 20k and limit is not at like 10k but dont' think anything further than that
Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: shifting CL from one card to another--what happens to displayed highest balance?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, like I said, I know it's not a scoring issue, just wondering about how it looks. Did you ever apply for anything after you changed around? Did you have to explain what you had done?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never seen that question asked Hauling. Similar to a BT but in this case a cl transfer. Smiley Happy Good thinking!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think a manual review with a EX report would clear things up since they list your credit limit.

Between Jan 2008 and Jan 2008, your credit limit/high balance was $1,400

Between Sep 2007 and Dec 2007, your credit limit/high balance was $1,100

Between Mar 2007 and Aug 2007, your credit limit/high balance was $800

Between Aug 2006 and Feb 2007, your credit limit/high balance was $300

Also since your high balance would obviously still be under your CL I wouldn't worry about it.  Since you have no baddies and a low balance currently, then you obviously paid it off no problem.

Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hi, rebuilder, thanks for pointing that out! And I had just told another member last month about how the reports show your varying CL's: posted a screenshot of my own EX report, too, lol.

Appreciate the re-boot for my overheated brain. Once less thing to wonder about. Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.