cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shopdiscover+online shopping+ department store?

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

shopdiscover+online shopping+ department store?

had an question about how department stores are counted as with regards to discover 5% and shopdiscover. So for example if i were to buy something from macys.com would that count as 5% department store, 5% online shopping and another 5% for shopdiscover? I need to get started on some holiday shopping :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: shopdiscover+online shopping+ department store?

@mongstradamus wrote:

had an question about how department stores are counted as with regards to discover 5% and shopdiscover. So for example if i were to buy something from macys.com would that count as 5% department store, 5% online shopping and another 5% for shopdiscover? I need to get started on some holiday shopping :-)

my estimate would be ShopDiscover + Online shopping. I have done so last year and it has worked for both. What I do not understand is the combo 5% departement store and 5% online shopping in combination with Shop Discover ??

Message 2 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

No, if you buy online... it's online shopping. Doesn't matter the category (Or, at least, that's my experience.) If it has ShopDiscover, I would think you would get the percentage based on ShopDiscover in addition, but I wouldn't expect anything else.

Message 3 of 8
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

No, if you buy online... it's online shopping. Doesn't matter the category (Or, at least, that's my experience.) If it has ShopDiscover, I would think you would get the percentage based on ShopDiscover in addition, but I wouldn't expect anything else.

+1 this has worked for me last year

Message 4 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

poopy but it should be an department store, because its technically an department store. I need to buy some clothes maybe i should try and see what happens. i was also looking at chase so i probaby wouldn't be able to get 6x+5x at macys either. Ur mall has 6x for macys, and department store is 5x this quarter. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 8
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

poopy but it should be an department store, because its technically an department store. I need to buy some clothes maybe i should try and see what happens. i was also looking at chase so i probaby wouldn't be able to get 6x+5x at macys either. Ur mall has 6x for macys, and department store is 5x this quarter. 

Chase should work at least last year it has worked with the combo UR mall and the 5% department store for me. Discover and Freedom work a whole lot better for me than Amex as almost nothing is classified as department stores if you shop online ... I hate BCP for this as I never get more than the 1% due to its merchant coding.

example: JCP = online = 1% only  ..it is not coded as department store therefore no 3%  (tons of such experiences kept me from using my BCP unless I can swipe)

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They aren't very clear about how online shopping at department stores will be coded, but either way, it doesn't matter. You'll only get the 5% and the extra for using ShopDiscover

In addition, purchases made at warehouse clubs or discount stores and purchases made using virtual wallets or third party payment providers will not receive 5% Cashback Bonus. If a purchase is coded for a category other than listed above, it will not qualify. Online shopping at Department Stores will only earn 5% Cashback Bonus. Qualifying purchases must post to your account by 12/31/14. Rewards are added to your Cashback Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See Cashback Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details.

Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/Cashback-Store/Macy-s/ shows ebates at 6% for Macy's  so you could go through there and use discover for 11% cashback or Freedom for 5x UR + 6% cashback.  Also Extrabux is 10%, but I have no experience of that.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.