Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shopping cart trick

tag
wildbillcody
Regular Contributor

shopping cart trick

ok i could see how the shopping cart trick could become addictive. I just got two pre approvals and it was exciting...

Lender pulled fico scores 4-11-2013
Equifax 670, Exp 673, TU 672
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Re: shopping cart trick

From somebody who app'd for every card that showed me I was eligible, I would highly encourage you to stop at 2 or 3. I now have stupid cards like OneStopPlus which I just closed and a few others I want to get rid of. They seem cool at first but trust me, whether you open 3 or 8, it's going to do the same thing to your credit. I recommend doing just a few then stop. Otherwise you will be like me, looking at your Brylane Home card that you never use and shaking your head.

Have fun with the new cards however.

Message 2 of 10
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

@wildbillcody wrote:

ok i could see how the shopping cart trick could become addictive. I just got two pre approvals and it was exciting...

The first one made me super happy, I completely understand! Don't go through with ones you really won't use....

Message 3 of 10
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

From somebody who app'd for every card that showed me I was eligible, I would highly encourage you to stop at 2 or 3. I now have stupid cards like OneStopPlus which I just closed and a few others I want to get rid of. They seem cool at first but trust me, whether you open 3 or 8, it's going to do the same thing to your credit. I recommend doing just a few then stop. Otherwise you will be like me, looking at your Brylane Home card that you never use and shaking your head.

+1000000000

Seriously, this is some awesome advice.  I have the same stupid cards, ....Brylane, Catherines, Woman Within, The Avenue, etc. and I tell you what?  I wish I had never opened them but it was too addicting.  I was given some generous limits at the time ($750 on each) but now buyers or should I say "credit seekers" remorse has set in.  I have ordered a few items from Brylane and Woman Within and their stuff is crap!  I sent everything back and Woman Within charged me $47 for shipping the stuff back.  I will never buy ANYTHING from them again.  I think the only good one's I have that are truly useful from time to time is VS and Catherines.  All of the rest can kick rocks.  Now it does help with util. but after you build your credit these CL's start meaning less and less because you can still buy from them using a major CC.  

I would suggest just like Johnny said and only get what you really want and will use.  It's exciting at the beginning but after awhile it wears off.  Every WFFNB card I have is SD now as I really don't need them.  

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 4 of 10
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Good advice Rhaeny.... hehe.

Message 5 of 10
wildbillcody
Regular Contributor

I picked two stores that we would actually use but not get crazy with.

Lender pulled fico scores 4-11-2013
Equifax 670, Exp 673, TU 672
Message 6 of 10
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Ya not to mention that the more accounts you have floating around the more chances for some sort of statement error, identity theft, random occurance. The marginal utility (to use an economics term) of that additional store card goes way down with each one you have especially as time goes by as noted. I am stopping at one Walmart card. Fortunately my credit is so bad thats all that I am eligible for. That is great however because it has given me pause to think about it and I am past the initial pink cloud phase (to use a 12 step term) and wont be apping for random cards in the future.

Message 7 of 10
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

+1000000000

Seriously, this is some awesome advice.  I have the same stupid cards, ....Brylane, Catherines, Woman Within, The Avenue, etc. and I tell you what?  I wish I had never opened them but it was too addicting.  I was given some generous limits at the time ($750 on each) but now buyers or should I say "credit seekers" remorse has set in.  I have ordered a few items from Brylane and Woman Within and their stuff is crap!  I sent everything back and Woman Within charged me $47 for shipping the stuff back.  I will never buy ANYTHING from them again.  I think the only good one's I have that are truly useful from time to time is VS and Catherines.  All of the rest can kick rocks.  Now it does help with util. but after you build your credit these CL's start meaning less and less because you can still buy from them using a major CC.  

I would suggest just like Johnny said and only get what you really want and will use.  It's exciting at the beginning but after awhile it wears off.  Every WFFNB card I have is SD now as I really don't need them.  

I totally agree with both of yall. I got very excited with the pop up approvals as well. I only took them up on VS and Brylane Homes. I love my VS card but I have little to no use of the Brylane Home card. After "credit seekers" remorse, I decided that I would just keep that one open for a year and then just close it. I bought something at the beginning and then paid if off and I just ordered a blanket from them last month and put it on the 90 day deferement just to keep my account "doing something" for the next 3 months so they don't close if for me. I have to admit that I sometimes go back to the shopping cart trick sites just so it will give me that pop up but then I say no thanks and close out. Hey....it's instant gratification without a hp from someplace Cat Very Happy

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 8 of 10
searchwiser1
Established Member

I can not get the trick to work for me, any ideas why or tips I really want a King Size card

Starting Score: 610
Current Score: 612
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

It is kinda addicting. I got 5 cards out of it...3 I use regularly, 2 I don't.

The one I really wanted, Eddie Bauer, won't even pop up for me...haha.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.