Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shopping portals

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

shopping portals

I was just curious when most people do some online shopping thru shopping portals what do they use? It seems to me for best over all value looks like shopdiscover is the best one. I was comparing some stores on both UR mall and shopdiscover, it seems like shop discover seems to be an lot better. Usually 5% compared to 2 points per dollar for Chase UR.

Am i missing something ? Other than the fact that you can convert UR points for travel and transfer to airline and hotel partners, is there any other upside to using Chase UR mall?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: shopping portals

ShopDiscover often has higher rates than other credit card portals, but people will use UR Portal if they value points highly enough (so 2 points valued at 3c each for example is better than 5%)

But there are many other shopping portals out there, like TopCashBack, BeFrugal, BigCrumbs, Lucky Rewards, ebates etc, that, on a particular day for a certain merchant, will beat all the credit card malls.   Then there are the airline ones, for those that value miles.

Message 2 of 12
NikoD
Regular Contributor

And there is Upromise. If you also use the Upromise CC you get 10% back at most of their stores.

Message 3 of 12
parakleet
Valued Contributor

I always go through a portal and a lot of the times, shopdiscover can't be beat. But I also regularly use topcashback, mrrewards, and Ebates. Come to think of it, I havent used the UR mall but I'm also not saving up for travel right now.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 4 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

I always go through a portal and a lot of the times, shopdiscover can't be beat. But I also regularly use topcashback, mrrewards, and Ebates. Come to think of it, I havent used the UR mall but I'm also not saving up for travel right now.

I have been using cashmonitor and then choosing the portal that way, but i usually see shop discover at the top of the list, so was just wondering what everybody else uses. I guess shopdiscover is where its at . Wanted to get some ur points but looks like shopdiscover is just an better deal 

Message 5 of 12
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I was just curious when most people do some online shopping thru shopping portals what do they use? It seems to me for best over all value looks like shopdiscover is the best one. I was comparing some stores on both UR mall and shopdiscover, it seems like shop discover seems to be an lot better. Usually 5% compared to 2 points per dollar for Chase UR.

Am i missing something ? Other than the fact that you can convert UR points for travel and transfer to airline and hotel partners, is there any other upside to using Chase UR mall?

I can only speak from experience with Discover's mall, but I think they offer a wide array of options. Last time I looked a few weeks ago, the rates for cashback were between 5-25% depending on the merchant. I opted to buy some needed stuff from a merchant that was in the "10%" cashback category, and Discover was quick at crediting me the money. They were added to my cashback bonus balance on the very next statement.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 6 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I can only speak from experience with Discover's mall, but I think they offer a wide array of options. Last time I looked a few weeks ago, the rates for cashback were between 5-25% depending on the merchant. I opted to buy some needed stuff from a merchant that was in the "10%" cashback category, and Discover was quick at crediting me the money. They were added to my cashback bonus balance on the very next statement.

They have a lot of major merchants, but certainly not all.   With the large number of malls and stores today, finding the best deal on a particular generally available product takes too long!   (So I can buy it at X for $10, and Portal Y offers 4% cashback buying at X.  It costs $11 at Z, but Portal A has 10% cashback for that. so.   Five hours later you have worked out how to save 50 cents!)

Among a certain segment, American Express Gift Cards are a common thing to purchase, and the portals are constantly competing for the best rate there (currently Barclays and LuckyRewards at 4%)

Message 7 of 12
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

I use the UR Mall and will use the Barclay one as well. If the return is twice as good at Barclay's then I'll use that. Otherwise I'll stick with UR.
Message 8 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:
I use the UR Mall and will use the Barclay one as well. If the return is twice as good at Barclay's then I'll use that. Otherwise I'll stick with UR.

Interesting after i return from my trip i am going to try and use UR exclusively to see what kind of numbers i get. Hopefully by then i will have decided if IT will just be SD and used for occasional shopdiscover purchases

Message 9 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Is this because you value URs at 2c each?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.