cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

short credit history. good score. where to apply?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

short credit history. good score. where to apply?

I'm posting this for my friend. He is a new immigrant and does not have a lot of credit history yet. The only things he has on his report are: wells fargo Visa platinum (6 months old) and Citi Platinum (8 months old), both 1000 limits. He is also an AU on my Citi card (2,2 years old, 10k limit). His scores are pretty good: EX 743, EQ 734, TU 747, FAKO's. I think real FICO should be in low 700's at least. What would you advise for the credit cards? he wants to open a couple prime cards and a couple of store cards. Do you know of anybody who may give him an unsecured card these days?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: short credit history. Good score. Where to apply?

I would try Alliant CU. If his EQ score is in the 700s he would probably get 5k or more.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I was thinking of Alliant. I actually talked to one of their rep's and she told me that even though the pre-approval decision is automatic and based on score, when you accept an offer the underwriter almost always looks at the file... does anyone know how they are with short credit histories?
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant is moderately conservative, so with such a short history and low CL's, I don't think they would approve for a very large CL (I think $5k is unlikely).

Also, Alliant is not a "prime" card, so if your originally stated objectives stand, this would not meet that.  However, Alliant is an excellent CU and a great place to build a relationship.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any other suggestions on where to apply?
Message 5 of 18
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Let the accounts age. Wait.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

But for now? are there any good cards he could be approved on?
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
But for now? are there any good cards he could be approved on?

Let the accounts age.

What is his objective? He can apply for a couple but will get low CLs and probable denials.

If he waits till all are a year or so old he will get more approvals and higher limits.

He pretty much has "Prime" cards now just not Super Prime.

He should wait, keep utilization under 20%.

Is there something he is trying to accrue credit for?

Message 8 of 18
smallfry
Senior Contributor

You guys are gonna do what you want but the truth of it is this. If this were 2007 you would be OK going for a card or two but now it is a different climate. Your friend has 2 cards one 6 months old 1 eight months old. That doesn't even register as history. He likely wouldn't get any prime cards now with 2 new cards and no other history. Take it slow. Use the cards and PIF every month.
Message 9 of 18
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Go to the Bank of America pre approval page and see what comes up. Just an idea I would not apply but it is a soft pull.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.