Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

short history card application

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: short history card application

You probably need a FICO score. The only thing concerning about your credit history is the negative items. You said you were never more than 60 days late, which probably implies you were 30 days late on some? I wonder how much of an effect on your credit profile those negative items have. If the impact is severe you may have to be contented with just one card for a while, or apply for one of the less appealing cards.

Message 11 of 17

I have never been late on any of my payments, in that case do you think I am in a good enough position to apply?

Message 12 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@applyingforsomethingnew wrote:

I'm a recent college grad. I'm very interested in applying to two cash rewards cards: Amex Blue Cas Everyday and Capital One Cash Rewards. I have had a basic BoA BankAmericard since last June (almost exactly 1 yr) which has a $900 limit. I have been on time with all my payments and have used the card 11/12 months. I have not asked for a credit line increase at any time. I just applied and signed a lease for an apt, which included a background check. Based off those results I have a XPN 765 credit score. I was wondering what advice people could give me, and what chances I have of being approved for those new cards. I do not have any other credit history, no student loans (lucky) etc. I can provide more information if it would be of use. Also if I should or should not apply for a new credit card, should I apply for a credit line increase? Alternatively, should I see if it gets raised this month afer I have completed one year? If I should not apply now then when?

Thanks in advance

I'd wait for another month, let the BOFA tradeline tick over a year and then look at options.

The Amex BCE is very similar to the BOFA 1-2-3 Cash rewards card, and I agree that you should likely product change your current BOFA card to something more personally useful.

f it's not too personal a question, may I ask:

• What's your income?
  • What are your spending patterns?

You're in good spot right now, simply your file is a little thin.   I know it's tough to predict having just graduated (congratulations!), but if you can let us know what your general spending pattern is, we can tailor the recommendations for you individually.

        
Message 13 of 17
HiLine
Blogger

@applyingforsomethingnew wrote:

I have never been late on any of my payments, in that case do you think I am in a good enough position to apply?

If you indeed have a perfect payment history, then you're good for any card except anything by Chase or Barclays. If you wait till the one-year mark you should be good for Chase. This is probably the best time to get an Amex. SPG, PRG, BCP, you name it. If I were in your position I would probably wait for the 1 year mark, then apply for whatever card(s) you want. I was a recent college grad like you when I started my credit journey. I started out with a BofA card as well, and got my Amex credit card with about 10 months of history. Feel free to check out my blog some time Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 17

I took 09Lexie's advice and actually just upgraded my basic BoA credit card to a Better Balance Rewards card, which was no trouble at all. To me it makes a lot of sense to have that card with BoA if I plan on moving mostly to a different card in the future. My salary is low 30k. My apt is going to be around 900/mo including utilities. The way I have things budgeted I plan on spending 2-300 per month on groceries. I'm living in a big city so my yearly gas expense will be quite low, and im going to be pretty frugal about most other things. Montly metro card, some money aside for restaurants, drinks on the weekends, misc expenses, but thats about it. I am trying to put away at least 20% post taxes for savings. Let me know if any other info would be of use.

Message 15 of 17

Ok thanks HiLine!

Message 16 of 17
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your saving habit. It is good to see responsible people for a change.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.