Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I apply Wells Fargo Visa?

tag
SnowBowl
Frequent Contributor

should I apply Wells Fargo Visa?

Since last fall I have been approved for WM Card, Discover , Apple Visa Card and LensCrafters.. I do have auto loan thru Wells Fargo ( 4 years and 6 months payments history )  so I am just wondering if this would help increase likelyhood of approval despite of BK being 5 years old.. Credit Karma shows 5 years ontime payments.. no 30's or 60's marks or  chargeoffs. I am waiting for CRA to update my balances  on all accounts it should be under 10% UTIL by then..  awhile ago I think I posted about Citibank on here and I never heard anything from them so I assumed its rejected.  so Wells Fargo would be my next try..  I am just not sure if they are BK friendly at 5 years old.  suggestions? go for it?

on this date 1-22-24 all 3 bureaus are currently frozen until 1-22-26
VantageScore 3.0 EQ 753
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Re: should I apply Wells Fargo Visa?

No...they are not. It will be an instant decline. I work for WF...and I see it all the time where its declined just because of a BK. HOWEVER, if you have at least 300, you can get a secured card. But normally i'd recommend that if you didn't have any credit cards. But since you already do, its all up to you.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 2 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

Wells Fargo is extremely conservative for their credit cards to the extent it's almost overly zealous IMO.

The best way for you to know about your odds is to drop by a branch and talk to a banker yourself. They usually are able to tell you about your odds pretty accurately, and if not they can always call the underwriting department and speak with them directly.

TBH though, there are other credit card companies that are BK friendly AND have better rewards than Wells Fargo. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 16
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Wells Fargo is extremely conservative for their credit cards to the extent it's almost overly zealous IMO.

The best way for you to know about your odds is to drop by a branch and talk to a banker yourself. They usually are able to tell you about your odds pretty accurately, and if not they can always call the underwriting department and speak with them directly.

TBH though, there are other credit card companies that are BK friendly AND have better rewards than Wells Fargo. 

+1

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 16
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

I have seen Wells softening a little with regard to approving with a BK on a credit report.  The successes I've seen though have been at the 7 year mark and higher.  

That said, it looks like you're past the secured card time period already so I wouldn't exactly recommend it unless you're really eager to further establish your relationship with them.  

You'll realize that a lot of creditors will eventually soften up between years 5 and 10.  For me, that creditor was Chase...I applied 6 years post BK (I burned them on a few cards and a car loan) and I was able to finance a car as well as get a Visa Siggy with them.   

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 5 of 16
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

As many have said in the previous posts Wells Fargo is ultra conservative they won't approve you with major derogatories or BK showing up in your reports so do yourself a favor Don't apply for their cards if you don't want to waste a hard inquiry for nothing... Believe there are better credit cards than Wells.. They suck with their credit cards program...
Message 6 of 16
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

I would skip wells fargo and go with something else.  They are very conservative as ppl mentioned and even if they approve you, it might not be for a good enough limit.

Ive had their card for almost 2 years and never a cli, they keep denying my requests- Either too high utilization (im at 7%), or theylle say not enough time with wells credit account (almos 2 years), or the newest one was (low recent balance in wells checking account) LOL Im done with these bufoons, Im with BOA now!

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 16
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

I don't know if Wells Fargo is ultra conservative with their 1% mortgage credit card or their non-college credit cards, but my experience was quite please with them.

I was a college student back in 2011 with NO credit cards or installment loans. I was a customer with Wachovia until they were bought out by WF for 4 years and had a checking account with both banks.

I just had 3 direct deposit checks deposited over the course of 2 months, apped for their college credit card (1% cash back on everything) and BAM I was approved.
YMMV.
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 8 of 16
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@Chaos122 wrote:

I would skip wells fargo and go with something else.  They are very conservative as ppl mentioned and even if they approve you, it might not be for a good enough limit.

Ive had their card for almost 2 years and never a cli, they keep denying my requests- Either too high utilization (im at 7%), or theylle say not enough time with wells credit account (almos 2 years), or the newest one was (low recent balance in wells checking account) LOL Im done with these bufoons, Im with BOA now!

+1. I can agree they are very conservative. I had been banking with them for over 10 years with a personal account and 3 years with business account and after having a secured card with a 4000 limit over a year not only didnt my card graduate but when i applied for an unsecured one they declined my application because apparently i had to close my secured one first to only have them give me a 2000 limit on the unsecured one with a high APR.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 9 of 16
RyVision
Valued Contributor

SnowBowl;

Don't burn a HP for an app with WF, you WILL get denied or at best a very low limit with a very high interest rate and on a card with almost no rewards.  There are too many better lenders to consider with better rewards.  Check "whogavemecredit . com" for info on WF.  Look at the possibility of an AMEX charge card on the same link, or even a revolver with them, they're still conservative but better than WF on approval and rewards (by far) but you'd have to wait a while for one of their revolvers I'm afraid.  You already have the one I would have recommended, Discover, so you're on the right path.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.