cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I apply for a high limit credit card? If so, which company?

tag
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

Re: should I apply for a high limit credit card? If so, which company?

Most cc, especially citibank are not going to give you CL out of line with what's on your cr. So if all your credit is in the 800-1500 range for instance, you generally are not going to get a CL of 10000. Exceptions I'm sure apply but I would think you would be better off working on increasing your current lines before applying OR apply for a prime card you really want and if you don't get the CL you want, work on increasing it over time. When I got my Citi exec AA world MC approved, they gave me a credit line exactly as the line I had on my BoA card (18K). Can't help think it's more than a coincidence that they looked at my cr and gave me a CL in line with what I already had.
Message 11 of 17
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@msgudcred1979 wrote:

Thanks mpx 114, I applied for Discover More and was approved for an initial $2000 cl. Smiley Very Happy . I should be receiving the card by next Thursday. Hopefully I will be at the $8500 mark like you in 6 months. Thanks for the encouragement.  I will be putting the Hooters and HSBC Household cards in the sock drawer.

Congrats on the approval! I figured $2k based on your current highest CL. The $8500 is just an increase, not my total CL Smiley Wink Congrats again and keep the card in excellent standing for six months, then you should get more. Your HSBC since 2007 is a good card, you should still pursue a CLI to show lenders you have experience with higher limits.

Message 12 of 17
msgudcred1979
Valued Member

Thanks visorboy1974, I applied at one of my credit unions and recieved a $7000 visa at 8% interest. Smiley Surprised. I am estatic!

Message 13 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

to poster close to beginning of this thread, back door "credit analyst" at Household for manual review for CLI???!! Come again?

I can't even get an english speaking rep let alone someone who can over ride that little computer in front of them... am I missing a seceret?

Message 14 of 17
john398
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

to poster close to beginning of this thread, back door "credit analyst" at Household for manual review for CLI???!! Come again?

I can't even get an english speaking rep let alone someone who can over ride that little computer in front of them... am I missing a seceret?

Have you tried  866-719-3897

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Citi Hilton Visa, the gave me an initial credit $9000. not bad for my first visa. (but I already have prime cards from Discover and Amex, they are stingy on CL!) 

Message 16 of 17
Smug
Established Contributor

I was in the same boat as you last week went to PSECU and asked for a visa they gave me 5k, I apped for a barclays visa, the gave me 5k also....goodluck
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.