Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I close my secured card?

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

should I close my secured card?

I got this PNC secured card in June. Its been a decent card, but Ive been thinking about closing it lately and saving the AF. I use my chase freedom for everything and dont have a use for the secured card. Will it look bad for closing the card after only 4-5 months. I didnt expect my credit to improve so fast and to be able to get other CCs so I had a purpose for the card, but now I am just trying to grow the cards I have.

I know it wont hurt my AAOA, and It isnt helping my util. so would this hurt me?

CO CC- opened 1/12

PNC- 6/12

Chase- 9/12

WM- 9/12

Kays- 8/12

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: should I close my secured card?

It won't harm you to close it. If that is what you wish to do, it is perfectly okay FICO wise.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 9
YahComb
Established Contributor

might as well hang onto it until the next AF comes around and then close it.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 3 of 9
guydiver
Established Contributor

You're in that boat where it won't hurt you to close it.  Save the AF and take care of your good cards now. 

Message 4 of 9
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

its a monthly billed AF, otherwise id keep it. so its $3 per month. I will close it. Thanks guys, just didnt know if itd look bad to only have it for a few months

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 5 of 9
YahComb
Established Contributor

monthly? well then close that thing yesterday lol

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 6 of 9
dude11
Regular Contributor

Close that sucker! No need to pay a monthly fee. If it were annually like most cards then I'd say keep it till it hit 1 year. If you got decent cards now or a better card then close that piece of plastic!

Message 7 of 9
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

CHOPPED!!!!

Message 8 of 9
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

lol

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.