TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Hey...I'm Greek & don't get it!  Smiley Very Happy

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: should i app for more cards?

how much of a point drop could i expect if my aaoa dropped by a year? my equifax fico just went up to 735. dont get my transunion till the 1st.

Message 12 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I wouldn't think that much but any loss you will probably gain back in less than 6 months

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just became a member of penfed a few days ago....but i havent apped for any of their cards yet. as i have heard they are pretty tough. i have heard of people with pretty high scores and incomes getting rejected.

What would be considered too many inquires?

Message 14 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

how much of a point drop could i expect if my aaoa dropped by a year? my equifax fico just went up to 735. dont get my transunion till the 1st.

This depends on what the years are. There are these mysterious things called "score buckets" that try to match you with consumers with similar credit profiles, and most of the buckets are defined by age in full years.

We do a lot of guessing (and arguing) around here as to what the age brackets are, but there's a good chance that two of them are "less than 2 years" and "2 years to less than 5." When my EQ file finally hit 5 years AAoA (they had lost some old closed accounts for me Smiley Mad), my score hopped around 10 points. I can't be more precise, because it's so hard to separate things out, but that's a for-instance.

But you might well see no change at all if you went from 4 to 3, or 8 to 7, for example.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 20
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

PenFed, is indeed, tuff.

Originally, I was denied with an EQ of nearly 750 but my recon was a success due to the documents they received from me. I had to fax in everything from tax returns to W2s. It was worth it, though.

I had ZERO inquiries when I apped w/ them. Currently, they're my only inquiry on my Equifax report.

How many inqs do you have now and what are the dates of them?

UM

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

well i had 4 inquires in 12/2008 all for rental cars. did a lot of travel and didnt have a credit card. only a debit card.

9/2008

5/2009

11/2009

3/2010 2 inquiries

8/2010 2 inquiries

one of those last inquires was the penfed savings account i opened and the other was a refinance on my car.

id really like to get maybe a chase untied mileage plus card because i travel quite a bit and ive also been looking at the starwood amex as ive heard its an excellent card for travelers rewards. how many inquiries is too many.?

Message 17 of 20
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Greek to me, too.  However it  may be useful to savvy Apple script users.

I keep mine in a simple Excel spreadsheet - it's easier than redoing the math whenever I need to check it out. 

Do whatever works best for you.

+1.

You don't have to AppleScript savvy to use the above code though. Just paste it into a Mac's Script Editor window and press Command-R to run it. You can change the input values at the top of the script code to fit your needs.

If you do an average in Excel, I don't know if it can calculate the number of non-blank cells only. Because if you change the number of cards, you may not want to bother with updating the formula of the cell with the result.

You can do anything with excel, usually using some combination of if, then commands.  I don't understand exactly what you're saying though, or I would explain.

For instance if you want it to add up the number of non blank cells in a column, say column C, make another column off to the side that is full of =if(C1="",0,1).  Then that column will print a 1 in each cell corresponding to each row that is not blank.  Then just =sum() at the bottom of that column and you have the number of nonblank cells in column C.  Then you can hide the column that the math is done in to keep your spreadsheet looking tidy Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

still not sure if i should wait or not.....i dont think my chances with penfed are very good even if i wait till december when 4 inq drop off. what do you think my chances are with a starwood amex is right now? ive appped for amex about a year a fidelity amex and got denied...i didnt think to try a recon.

Message 19 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

still not sure if i should wait or not.....i dont think my chances with penfed are very good even if i wait till december when 4 inq drop off. what do you think my chances are with a starwood amex is right now? ive appped for amex about a year a fidelity amex and got denied...i didnt think to try a recon.

You could try for the Starwood, if it's declined I would consider a Charge card, they are easier to get and if you apply same day they won't pull credit again.  Gold is free for first year, Zync is also pretty popular right now.  Many people have better luck getting an amex credit card product after showing history to amex on a charge card product.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.