Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i cancel this card?

tag
bmwatts0386
Established Member

should i cancel this card?

i have a merrick bank credit card that ive had for about 3 years. the limit is only 2300$ and i never use it. there is an annual fee that they charge 4$ every month. my AAoA is 4years 4months, ive had this card for almost 4 years. it gets no rewards, i never use it and it has an AF. i wouldnt mind as much if they charged the AF yearly but its annoying to have to pay 4$ every month on the card. also cancelling the card wouldnt hurt my util at all, just my AAoA in the long run

Amex Centurion
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Apple Card
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: should i cancel this card?

I think you have answered your own question!   Yes, cancel it, why waste $48 on a useless card.

Message 2 of 12
bmwatts0386
Established Member

thats a good point. i was pretty sure i was going to cancel it, just wanted to get reassurance from u guys! thanks!

Amex Centurion
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Apple Card
Message 3 of 12
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Cancel it...like yesterday.

Message 4 of 12
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

is that the credit card that gives you a free FICO score every month?

Message 5 of 12
bmwatts0386
Established Member

I didn't get a free fico score with it =(
Amex Centurion
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Apple Card
Message 6 of 12
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@bmwatts0386 wrote:
I didn't get a free fico score with it =(

oh ok...

http://www.merrickbank.com/paperless/faqs.aspx

does that only apply to certain customers then?

Message 7 of 12
bmwatts0386
Established Member

I must have had it and didn't even know about it. I have plenty of ways to check my score tho so it's not a big deal to me
Amex Centurion
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Apple Card
Message 8 of 12
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@bmwatts0386 wrote:
I must have had it and didn't even know about it. I have plenty of ways to check my score tho so it's not a big deal to me

Yeah, $4 a month is cheap for a FICO score, but I prefer the $15/month for the myFICO SW alerts, at least until i'm done with my mortgage(s) apps.

Message 9 of 12
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Cancel it.  You have plenty of other cards, no need to keep paying for that one.  With 2% utilization you should not even need to hesitate before closing a card you don't use.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.