cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i cancel

Valued Contributor

should i cancel

Good morning everyone, i got an offer from wamu for 0% on BT's and purchases until jan 2010. I have another wamu credit card for $5000 cl since 2006 and never late. I decided to get this card also since i though it was a good deal. They gave me a $500 dollar cl lol. Should i close it or keep it? I know i am going to be dinged for an inq but if i close it, will it not effect the age of my credits cards. I am worried about having my credit cards re-aged and getting dinged for that. For $500 dollars, it is not worth it. Also, should i call a back door number for WAMU and try to get them to raise the CL. Does WAMU even consider raising CL's?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES
Super Contributor

Re: should i cancel

IMHO I would keep it unless there is a yearly fee or monthly fee especialy   If you have a young credit history or only one or 2 accounts on your CR.  Also down the road you make get CLI's which could come in handy if you need to make a major purchase and want to pay over time.
01/23/2018: FICO 829 EQ 827 TU 831 EX
Message 2 of 14
Valued Contributor

actually i have a long history of credit and i have about 6 credit cards ranging from 5000 to 1500. That is why i am thinking about either reconn or canceling.
Message 3 of 14
Frequent Contributor

In the past I have had good results requesting a credit line increase at the time of activation. If you have already activated your card you can always call customer service and request an increase.

I personally would not close the card since it has a 0% on purchases and balance transfers until 2010. I certainly would take advantage of the free ride.

Message 4 of 14
Moderator Emeritus

WaMu will not CLI at activation, and they do not take cardholder-initiated CLI requests at all.

I would still keep the card, though.  You never know what they'll give you in the future.

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. Smiley Surprised )
Message 5 of 14
Established Contributor

They did the same thing to me... I kicked them to the curb gave my business to Chase and kept my original card with them.
9/18/08 TU=707 EQ=706 EX=702
Message 6 of 14
Valued Contributor

thanks everyone, so i know i can not get a CLI on the card but if i cancel the card will it keep my credit card age the same or will it still re age it because i already got the card. I have not received the card yet.
Message 7 of 14
Valued Contributor

Dump it.............Chase and/or Citi is better
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 8 of 14
Valued Contributor

thanks cobra, but i guess my real question is, if i cancel it, will it not re-age my accounts or is it going to still re-age my accounts because i was giving the credit card? I have not received it in the mail yet.
Message 9 of 14
Moderator Emeritus

oracles wrote:
thanks cobra, but i guess my real question is, if i cancel it, will it not re-age my accounts or is it going to still re-age my accounts because i was giving the credit card? I have not received it in the mail yet.

Doesn't matter that you haven't received it yet.  It will still report since you applied and were accepted.

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. Smiley Surprised )
Message 10 of 14