Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i file a chargeback?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should i file a chargeback?

took my car in for service, they were suppose to do an oil change and 20 other things (fluids, wipers, battery check).  battery died a week after service, wiper blades still sound like a nails on a chalk board.  I was suppose to get a write up of everything they checked and values (i.e. tire thread is 9/32, etc.), i didn't get this write up, when i asked they said they couldn't find it.  only thing on receipt that they did was an oil change, but charged me for the full service.

thinking of getting the car serviced at another dealership and i'll make sure they check everything and provide write up.

long story short, i never filed a chargeback with my credit card.  it's obvious the first dealership missed checking a bunch of things.  will the receipt (write up) from the second dealership help me win?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: should i file a chargeback?

@Anonymous wrote:

took my car in for service, they were suppose to do an oil change and 20 other things (fluids, wipers, battery check).  battery died a week after service, wiper blades still sound like a nails on a chalk board.  I was suppose to get a write up of everything they checked and values (i.e. tire thread is 9/32, etc.), i didn't get this write up, when i asked they said they couldn't find it.  only thing on receipt that they did was an oil change, but charged me for the full service.

thinking of getting the car serviced at another dealership and i'll make sure they check everything and provide write up.

long story short, i never filed a chargeback with my credit card.  it's obvious the first dealership missed checking a bunch of things.  will the receipt (write up) from the second dealership help me win?

Welcome to MyFico

Its not likely that your credit card company will back you in a chargeback.  They did service your card even if it's not what you expected.  Your best bet is to contact the general manager of the place that serviced your car and if that doesn't work, contact the Better Business Bureau.

Message 2 of 25
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums. 

No, take it back to that dealership and ask to speak to a manager. Show him your wipers, new battery and everything else you have and ask for it to be made right. Tell him you can no longer trust his service center with your vehicle. They will either redo it, refund you or ask you to leave. If they ask you to leave, do the chargeback. No matter which option you choose, never go back to that dealer. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 3 of 25
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I agree with others here, trying to do a charge back is the nuclear option and everyone loses at that point.

I understand where you are coming from, you received poor service and likely did not get what you paid for at the dealer.

Contact the service manager or general manager. If you have the time take the car by and show them your concerns.

Another thing to remember is that service providers are very aware of social media and their business. Look up the business on Yelp. Read the reviews of the dealership. Are they generally positive or have other people had similar issues? You can use this information when you are talking to a manager. "I noticed your Yelp reviews are positive and that is why I had service here".

Or you could just write a review on Yelp (I still think the dealer deserves a chance to make things right). My suggestion is that you compose the letter you want to say on a word document. Get as emotional and angry as you like. You might be surprised how therapeutic that can feel. Now, throw the emotional response away and write an objective review. If there were positives, point them out and do the best to stick to the facts. If you went by and talked to someone and had no response write about it. I have certainly received better results with this method.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No, start with the place that provided the service.  If your service advisor can't get you what you paid for then escalate to management.  A chargeback is not the way to address this sort of thing.

Message 5 of 25
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Appleman wrote:

I agree with others here, trying to do a charge back is the nuclear option and everyone loses at that point.

I understand where you are coming from, you received poor service and likely did not get what you paid for at the dealer.

Contact the service manager or general manager. If you have the time take the car by and show them your concerns.

Another thing to remember is that service providers are very aware of social media and their business. Look up the business on Yelp. Read the reviews of the dealership. Are they generally positive or have other people had similar issues? You can use this information when you are talking to a manager. "I noticed your Yelp reviews are positive and that is why I had service here".

Or you could just write a review on Yelp (I still think the dealer deserves a chance to make things right). My suggestion is that you compose the letter you want to say on a word document. Get as emotional and angry as you like. You might be surprised how therapeutic that can feel. Now, throw the emotional response away and write an objective review. If there were positives, point them out and do the best to stick to the facts. If you went by and talked to someone and had no response write about it. I have certainly received better results with this method.

Good luck!

This +1. The only thing I would add is speak to them before you post a review. They may reedeem themselves at which point your review would only be half the story. Resolve it before you post a review. I used to be a service manager and doing a chargeback or posting a review before you let them try to resolve it is like throwing a temper tantrum. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I would do a chargeback first. No need to waste more time with this. Just my opinion
Message 7 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

I would go back to the dealership and complain. They should fix what isn't working or refund your money. Assuming this was a recent charge if it is indeed true that they did not perform the services they billed you for then a chargeback seems like a reasonable final step. I don't understand the people who say you should never do a chargeback on this. What you are stating is that you took your car in and they charged you for stuff that was not done to your car? If you are saying they charged you for stuff they did do to your car but you don't like the way they did it then I wouldn't do a chargeback on that and I would just go in and complain and then not go back there anymore if they refuse to make it right. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
OP, I would do a chargeback first. No need to waste more time with this. Just my opinion

I'm sorry but that's bad advice.  Filing a chargeback wont accomplish a thing.

Message 9 of 25
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hahaha!!  VIGILANTE JUSTICE! Smiley Mad

Updated 1-25-18
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.