Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i transfer my auto loan balance?

tag
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

should i transfer my auto loan balance?

with penfed's new rate of 2.99% and me refinancing my loan(13.5k) to 3.99 should i transfer my loan balance to my cc which is 10k? will pen fed allow it? therefore i can receive my title faster, if they dont allow it, i can always transfer my loan balance to my citi card with is 9.6k and try and get a balance transfer for 0% then send it back and transfer the rest to another card.... the 2.99% for the life is really nice...
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

Re: should i transfer my auto loan balance?

I would not transfer a 3.99% auto loan to a 2.99% credit card. You already have an extremely low fixed rate, leave it alone. Besides the fact that you will max out your credit card and not have it available for emergencies, you would hurt your FICO score. Assuming your loan is for 5 years, the interest savings is only $363 for 3.99 vs 2.99.

And no. Penfed will not allow the transfer. You would have to do some manuevering.

And what good is having your title? Do you intend to use it as collateral for something?

Message 2 of 5
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

i refinanced my loan from 7.49 with 36 mnths left a monthly payment of 381 to penfed 3.99 60mths payment of 251 i also plan on hopefully purchasing a home later this year, but will be done fha so the credit score is not that big of an issue, last i checked i was 739 i can see myself going down to 700 ish which is fine i will pay heavily on it.  i can transfer to citi if they give me 0% for like 6 months then send it back to penfed, i dunno i am just wondering on the benefit, but a savings of 363 is nice too..

Message 3 of 5
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

also its a tough economy, never know what might happen tommorrow, if for some reason i lose my job and i cant pay at least i can keep the truck...

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Penfed offer is good until the end of May. I'd close on the house before you convert you secured installment credit line to an unsecured revolving line (which will affect your utilization). Don't take the hit to your score until the score no longer matters. There is a minimum fico and DTI requirements for FHA.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.