Did you mean: 

showing ID to cashiers

tag
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Re: showing ID to cashiers

@Jansroom726: Good question.

Startome wrote:

The answer to this question is yes, a business could make a visibly posted policy that they have a right to check ID before any sale, regardless of payment method, cash included. Thus it become a company policy, and is seperate from their merchant agreement, If they refuse a sale for not showing ID, it is then not because of the credit card, it is because of a company policy.

@Startome: So how does this play out? Which policy beats the other? Store policy or merchant agreement? A store with such a policy is in theory breaking their merchant agreement with the card issuer. Or does the card issuer as the poster longtimelurker pointed out basically turn the other cheek if the business is very profitable for the card issuer?

Message 131 of 137
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

I would think store policy would have to apply to all forms of payment otherwise one could say they are circumventing the merchant agreement.

If I paid in all cash why is it less worry with fraud? There are easy ways around the money pen. Not all cashiers look for watermark or security strip WHEN paid with $20 or lower.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 132 of 137
Startome
Regular Contributor

@JediNeo wrote:
I would think store policy would have to apply to all forms of payment otherwise one could say they are circumventing the merchant agreement.

If I paid in all cash why is it less worry with fraud? There are easy ways around the money pen. Not all cashiers look for watermark or security strip WHEN paid with $20 or lower.

Red: This was where I was going with my point.

Green: The money pens don't work on good counterfeit bills either. I get $100 bills at least once a week (got two yesterday) that have the watermark, black strip, and trick the counterfeit pen. However they do not have the two tone ink in the bottom right corner and the micro fibers are different from the real thing.

And to respond to the poster before JediNeo, there is no competition between agreements, as they are not refusing to do the sale due to a lack of the ID presented for the plastic, they are refusing it because they are refusing the ID to the store, the merchant agreement wouldn't even be part of the equation, because the request for ID had nothing to do with the plastic, but everything to do with the store's anti-fraud policy.

I work at a bank, and I see more fake bills than bad checks or credit fraud, so the policy would be logical for all business to start, regardless of payment method.

And honestly, why would anyone leave home without their ID?

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 133 of 137
Open123
Super Contributor

@Startome wrote:

And honestly, why would anyone leave home without their ID?

What if I've lost, misplaced, or have had my ID stolen?

Message 134 of 137
Startome
Regular Contributor

Then you should go to the branch and get a temp one printed instead of going shopping Smiley Wink

and on the flip side, if you've lost your ID, it's your fault for loosing your ID =P

And if it's stolen, your should immediately go to the branch for another one.

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300

Message 135 of 137
Open123
Super Contributor

@Startome wrote:

Then you should go to the branch and get a temp one printed instead of going shopping Smiley Wink

and on the flip side, if you've lost your ID, it's your fault for loosing your ID =P

And if it's stolen, your should immediately go to the branch for another one.

1.  Branch?  Do you mean, my local DMV "branch?"  I was unware that DMV Branches will print out replacement IDs on demand.

2.  Ah...er...haven't the foggiest on how to reply to this one, except to agree that "losing" my ID even if entirely unwitting is "my fault."

3.  DMV Branch, Police Dept Branch, or Bank Branch?

*Edited*  Were your replies in jest?  Just making sure I didn't miss your attempt at humor.  Smiley Wink

Message 136 of 137
Startome
Regular Contributor

Lol mostly in jest =D

A bit of truth too though, when you loose your ID I think they charge like 5 bucks or a fee of some kind and print you a temp on paper and mail you a plastic, not sure entirely how it works to be honest but I know they do something lol =)

But I honestly believe business would be wise to adopt this policy, though I agree it would be difficult in tight situations, especially where something like a bunch of guys go out to get some drinks from a local gas station at night and the guy refuses to give them a 2 liter of pepsi without an ID, dumb stuff like that is uneccessary lol. Would probably make the news though

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300

Message 137 of 137
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.