Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

showing ID to cashiers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: showing ID to cashiers

That's a possibility... I guess I just had a lucky guess! i assumed after that time that it didnt matter

Message 41 of 137
fused
Moderator Emeritus

This is what I find annoying. I've been going to the same mini mart about 2-3 times a week for over 5 years, and the same cashiers keep asking for my ID when I use my CC. Hello, you know me by now, don't you?Smiley Happy

Message 42 of 137
mxp114
Valued Contributor

I like the zip code system, I remember when kmart was asking for the billing zip to verify. I think this is pretty effective, I know Game Stop used to do this and after two unsuccessful zips the card is blocked from being used at that location for 24 hours.

Message 43 of 137
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@fused wrote:

This is what I find annoying. I've been going to the same mini mart about 2-3 times a week for over 5 years, and the same cashiers keep asking for my ID when I use my CC. Hello, you know me by now, don't you?Smiley Happy

Haha, yeah I know what you mean! There's a little mini mart right on across from my complex; I've lived here two years and go there multiple times a week and it's always this ONE guy who still asks me for my ID every single time. The rest stopped a long time ago. I'm just like "dude, you seriously don't know me by now? I'm in here all the time." He's just like "sorry I have to." Apparently you're the only one who has to, because even the manager doesn't do it anymore. 

Photobucket
Message 44 of 137
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mxp114 wrote:

I like the zip code system, I remember when kmart was asking for the billing zip to verify. I think this is pretty effective, I know Game Stop used to do this and after two unsuccessful zips the card is blocked from being used at that location for 24 hours.

Yea that is an excellent system.

I don't know why CCs can't have pins like debit cards do.  It doesn't take much longer to type in a pin and wait to be verified.  Plus it's worth it for the extra protection.

Message 45 of 137
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

I never sign any of my cards. I've yet to have a problem...most places, even if they ask for ID, won't look at the back of the card anyway.

Leaving your cards unsigned is a terrible idea. Not only will some places turn you down (like the USPS) but it's like giving thieves a blank check. A smart thief who knew the CCC rules could sign your card and buy anything they want because the signature matches.

Message 46 of 137
Anonymous
Not applicable

How will sighing the card show the CCC my sigature? Not like a cashier is trained to match sigatures, just hope it looks close (I never had one even look). I don't think the sigatures even mater. I have signed some crazy BS on the electronic sigature things; such as different names, drawled them pictures, or wrote "I am being held up."

It gets approved every time...

Message 47 of 137
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

Perhaps I am just not seeing it, but I was wondering why people choose not to sign the back of their cards.  Is it because if you lose that CC then a potential thief could look at your signature and try to copy it?  It seems to me that this scenario is better than having a blank signature line where someone could just fill in whatever.

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 48 of 137
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Technically the cashiers are supposed to compare the signatures. And technically they are supposed to decline the transaction if the signatures are different. Of course here in reality they never do. I once saw a funny page online where a guy posted his CC signing antics, signing the names of famous people, drawing pictures, even writing "I STOLE THIS CARD" and having it still go through. But the way the CCC rules are written, signature verification is the main line protection against fraud. I know it's stupid, but it's true.

So imagine this: a smart theif signs your unsigned card, goes to Best Buy, buys that $9000 million inch big screen, signs the signature pad exactly the same as the card... then informs the clerk that they don't have ID, and it's a violation of VISA/MC/etc's merchant rules to require ID, maybe even pulling up the rules on their smart phone to prove it.

It could happen.

Message 49 of 137
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FloridaState12 wrote:

@fused wrote:

Haha, yeah I know what you mean! There's a little mini mart right on across from my complex; I've lived here two years and go there multiple times a week and it's always this ONE guy who still asks me for my ID every single time. The rest stopped a long time ago. I'm just like "dude, you seriously don't know me by now? I'm in here all the time." He's just like "sorry I have to." Apparently you're the only one who has to, because even the manager doesn't do it anymore. 

I feel the same way too ... Especially with small $ purchase.   I hope he/she will not ask my ID one day ... Until then, I just show my ID every time he/she ask me.  

Message 50 of 137
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.