Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sites that pay you to add au?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: sites that pay you to add au?

Certainly not a risk worth taking, in my estimation.  

At least, not unless they upped the price.  This is not illegal, and breaks no laws.  This practice only seeks to inflate Fico scores, and has nothing directly to do with Issuers, who only subscribe to the score, with many having their own or highly customized versions. 

So, it's fine and ethetical for me to add my niece as an AU to jump start her history, though I wouldn't even give her the card?  But, it's so horribly unethical if the same person weren't lucky enough to know anyone to be added as an AU, and purchased it from a stranger to even the playing field?

Is a 30 year thick file with an 800 score really an accurate representation of stay at home spouse with no marketable skills, more so than 45 year old professional engineer, with no credit history, who has just immigrated here with a high paying job?

This mess reminds me of CA when the State allowed domestic partnerships for work benefits, which were originally meant for the "same" gender.  The courts found it unfairly discriminated those of opposing genders, and eventually allowed "domestic partnerhips" without limitations.  After a while, it ceases to have meaning, like the AU scoriing, which I'm sure many issuers would just dismiss, or customize a system minimize or eliminate its relevance.

Message 11 of 69
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Still cant quote on ipad fyi This is fraud. Plain and simple if you're going through a website and paying (or getting paid) for it. People doing this put at risk the hundreds of thousands of stay at home parents who may not be able to get any credit at all because of abuse. IMO this is very cut and dry and I'm passionaite about this as it can ruin things for everyone.
Message 12 of 69
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

When you add an AU to an account, it is a form of vouching for the person. The intention is for the cardholder to allow charges to be made that the cardholder is ultimately responsible for. If you aren't going to give the AU the card, then you really aren't using the program as intended and are gaming the system. The analogy of "this is why we can't have nice things" is very appropriate. Everything that is legal isn't necessarily ethical. 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 13 of 69
enharu
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

At least, not unless they upped the price.  This is not illegal, and breaks no laws.  This practice only seeks to inflate Fico scores, and has nothing directly to do with Issuers, who only subscribe to the score, with many having their own or highly customized versions. 

So, it's fine and ethetical for me to add my niece as an AU to jump start her history, though I wouldn't even give her the card?  But, it's so horribly unethical if the same person weren't lucky enough to know anyone to be added as an AU, and purchased it from a stranger to even the playing field?

Is a 30 year thick file with an 800 score really an accurate representation of stay at home spouse with no marketable skills, more so than 45 year old professional engineer, with no credit history, who has just immigrated here with a high paying job?

This mess reminds me of CA when the State allowed domestic partnerships for work benefits, which were originally meant for the "same" gender.  The courts found it unfairly discriminated those of opposing genders, and eventually allowed "domestic partnerhips" without limitations.  After a while, it ceases to have meaning, like the AU scoriing, which I'm sure many issuers would just dismiss, or customize a system minimize or eliminate its relevance.

+1

Most lenders will not hesitate to close the accounts and even blacklist if they detect such activity.

That being said, it's not illegal. If you value your account(s) with that particular bank, it's best to just avoid it. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 69
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

There's no difference at all.

Not a risk I'd be willing to take. That being said, considering all the other ways people improve their credit, it's unreasonable to be judgmental over this issue.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 69
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

This is called "piggybacking" and was a popular method of quickly raising your scores in the past.  Like has been said above, however, is that many lenders caught on and started closing accounts.

I have no problem with family members, close friends, and such being added, but adding strangers to your accounts for monetary gains to beat the system is in essence, fraud.  It could be a slippery slope.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 16 of 69
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Out of curiousity, I checked one of these websites, and even they state that cardholders who do that can either have their account closed or lose their ability to add AU. They also state that it terms of legality it's a grey area. However, as stated by others, I would not take the risk even it's legal. This is asking for trouble. 

Message 17 of 69
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

There's no difference at all.

Not a risk I'd be willing to take. That being said, considering all the other ways people improve their credit, it's unreasonable to be judgmental over this issue.

+1!  

To my mind, this isn't very different from PIF before statement cuts on all but one card.   That says very little about your real creditworthiness, but as an artifact of the algorithm, boosts your score.  As does backdating by Amex, which has no real basis in creditworthiness.  And the same is true for the "real" AU, that person wasn't responsible for the card, so why should the history impact their score?

But those things (especially the first!) are repeated endlessly here as good things to do.   At least piggybacking has some potential for reward (as well as loss!)

Hence my earlier comment about if I don't do it, it's wrong.   Which of course is sort of true, people avoid doing things they feel is bad, but at least be aware it really isn't very different from stuff you do do.

Message 18 of 69
sr383
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:
+1!  

To my mind, this isn't very different from PIF before statement cuts on all but one card.   That says very little about your real creditworthiness, but as an artifact of the algorithm, boosts your score.  As does backdating by Amex, which has no real basis in creditworthiness.  And the same is true for the "real" AU, that person wasn't responsible for the card, so why should the history impact their score?

But those things (especially the first!) are repeated endlessly here as good things to do.   At least piggybacking has some potential for reward (as well as loss!)

Hence my earlier comment about if I don't do it, it's wrong.   Which of course is sort of true, people avoid doing things they feel is bad, but at least be aware it really isn't very different from stuff you do do.

Advance PIFs require discipline and extreme attention to your expenditures and due dates. I think they say quite a bit about one's creditworthiness.

Backdating doesn't bother me because, however many AMEX cards you've got, you've got a relationship with the lender that dates to a certain point, and it don't think it's misleading to describe it in those terms.

Conversely, being an AU has nothing to do with creditworthiness, whether the user is a spouse or a stranger. I think it makes more sense to have credit card co-signers for those with thin files. The card-holder has skin in the game, but so does the "sidecard" user. This wouldn't be about backdating--it would be a chance for those near the start of their credit journeys to get experience with "keeper" cards and creditors.

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 19 of 69
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

@Joebunaga wrote:

I remember reading about it too, I think this one is it:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-and-Chase-Freedom-cancelled-my-credit-cards...

Not worth the risk IMHO.

That was the craziest thread I have ever read on here!

Message 20 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.