Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

so i have come to some genius thinking

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: so i have come to some genius thinking

me neither. it's not my default on apple pay or anything else. already changed my insurance lol
Message 21 of 44
UncleB
Credit Mentor

If Amex were the only game in town, I guess I might be 'nervous' as well... but of course, they're not. 

My 'little' BCP has a CL of $1K (CLI was denied because of previous account, 15 years ago).  As for the Green card, I put $900 on it the first month to help set my 'average', but now it's like $100-$200 a month, and that causes me pain since it's like leaving 1.5% on the table for not using QS. (I have no use for MR points)

I really like the 6% back for grocery store purchases on the BCP, however if they ever give me any trouble, I'll close both cards so fast the overseas CSRs won't even have time to find the right page in their script.  I just have a fundamental problem with changing my behavior for a credit card company.  As for a FR, while I'm sure with my tiny limits I have nothing to worry about, if they even whisper those letters to me it's game over... and I'll claim the winners circle.

Cards work for me, I don't work for them.  The rewards are nice, but I lived on nothing but debit for years, and I could do it again in a heartbeat if I had to.

[Whew... didn't mean for that to sound like a rant... sorry!  Maybe I need to find a bottle myself... Smiley Surprised]

Message 22 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's true. also, i called amex to ask a question and i got someone that was not foreign and i accidentally said "thank goodness someone born in america"

that was my first for that haha
Message 23 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

#liquidcourage
Message 24 of 44
core
Valued Contributor

I tried to post a response but I guess it got flagged as a moderator-necessary post.

XTERROR, before you go around calling people tonight, I'd suggest you look up the history of CRAS.  Most notably the "Wecome Wagon" ladies which were really spies to see if you're a boozer.  Amex will log that call of yours.  If you're not getting decent cash back from them, then yeah, screw em.  Otherwise tread lightly.

Message 25 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Jeff, I have an inkling that a lot here do. Income verification seems to be a HUGE scare for most around here

+1. Upon application, there really no is no income verfication done in almost all cases. So people can put basically whatever they want. If you're reviewed down the line though it absolutely can (and should!) be done if warranted.

People who inflate their incomes to get the cards they want are asking for trouble and yes I agree that some posters seem to have far higher limits, more high-end cards, etc than their incomes/scores would support, suggesting they have definitely inflated things. They'll learn the lesson eventually when the lenders catch on though!

The other part of it for those who didn't actually inflate anything is simply that income verification is seen as a PITA, but being as though the lender is extending you money it's fully within their right to want you to back up your claims.

For the OP: No this is not a genius plan, because pressing the button over and over with Amex has definitely led to people being reviewed. If you don't qualify for a CLI, hitting the button once a day is going to make zero difference.

Message 26 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

i only called inquring about a question Smiley Wink
Message 27 of 44
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i only called inquring about a question Smiley Wink

Not exactly comforting, sir.  That question could be:

- Can I get CLI?

or

- What's that white elephant doing on your site??

Keep trying, though.   They're bound to give it to you some day.  Work on your approach a bit, I think.

Message 28 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

i apped for BCP 05/18/15 and was denied and apped for HHonors 07-/15/15 and was denied with a better profile so i called to ask if there was a certain amount of time that i needed to wait for between denials.
Message 29 of 44
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
i apped for BCP 05/18/15 and was denied and apped for HHonors 07-/15/15 and was denied with a better profile so i called to ask if there was a certain amount of time that i needed to wait for between denials.

Seems like a very fair question to me Smiley Happy

While I do like them, they are probably the most peculiar lender I've dealt with since getting my first credit card years ago.  If they don't show me at least a small CLI by next Spring (when my two baddies age off) I plan on just trying for another card, ironically probably a BCE.  The APR should be lower, and hopefully (if approved) the SL will be higher than I have now.  After a few months, I could just close the BCP and transfer the credit line to the new, hopefully lower APR BCE.

Of course, this is pure speculation with a bunch of if's, maybe's, and might's.  My next opportunity to try for a CLI will be the middle of August (will be my second attempt), and there's always the chance they could pleseantly surprise me.

In your case, the very next time could be the time everything just *works* and you are not only approved, but get a really nice APR and SL.  I've read lots of post on here, many specifically on Amex, and more than a few folks report that it worked exactly like that for them.  They would apply, get rejected, then a few months later they would try again - with nearly everything being the same - but the second time for some reason they're approved.  Smiley Happy

Hang in there!

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.