Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

southwest vs united mileage plus?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

southwest vs united mileage plus?

I'm looking for my second airline credit card. I have the us airways and people say it's good to use it to travel domestically. Should my next card be a chase southwest or united milesage plus if I plan to use it both domestically and internationally? Which has large fuel surcharges?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: southwest vs united mileage plus?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm looking for my second airline credit card. I have the us airways and people say it's good to use it to travel domestically. Should my next card be a chase southwest or united milesage plus if I plan to use it both domestically and internationally? Which has large fuel surcharges?

Don't get Southwest. There are changes coming to their miles program that is going to make them more difficult to use. I'm not a big fan of airline specific cards, with US Airways (for the bonus miles) and United (for the club passes) being the only two I recommend.

Instead of an airline specific card, have you thought about Chase Sapphire Preferred? If you aren't interested in that one, I say go for Capital One Venture or United,.

Message 2 of 30
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You should app for citi aa platinum, together with ur Usairways miles which soon be converted to aa miles, you will have 100k points to spend. Another  sugesstion is Chase BA, good redemption value for short haul domestic, aa/us airways  flights within US and to asia, within Australia, just not good to Europe due to high fuel surcharge. 

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigbang91 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You should app for citi aa platinum, together with ur Usairways miles which soon be converted to aa miles, you will have 100k points to spend. Another  sugesstion is Chase BA, good redemption value for short haul domestic, aa/us airways  flights within US and to asia, within Australia, just not good to Europe due to high fuel surcharge. 

I actually disagree on getting the Citi AA card. Its features are going to be exactly the same as the soon to be converted AA Aviator cards.

Message 4 of 30
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

If it's between Southwest and United, go with United.  Southwest flies an extremely limited Int'l route to Mexico/Caribbean while United has a pretty extensive Int'l routing.

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 5 of 30
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

I would not get either card at the moment. Wait for a better sign up bonus. The US air card is the best deal out there. You just missed the southwest bonus. The united bonus was in aug of last year, my guess is that it will happen around the same time this year. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 6 of 30
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I would not get either card at the moment. Wait for a better sign up bonus. The US air card is the best deal out there. You just missed the southwest bonus. The united bonus was in aug of last year, my guess is that it will happen around the same time this year. 

If there's a local Chase branch for the OP, they can apply at the branch and ask for the 50K offer.  Chase will honor it.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 7 of 30
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually disagree on getting the Citi AA card. Its features are going to be exactly the same as the soon to be converted AA Aviator cards.

I know,i advise OP apply for the points,AF fee waive for 1st year anw?He can convert it to another no AF card when the AF hit.

Message 8 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

Currently, neither.  

Unless you can find links to the 50K offers, neither is worth applying for with only a 25k or 30K bonus.  Presently, you're better off with US Air 50K + Citi AA 50K to combine 100K when the two programs merge in Q2.

Good luck!

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

Currently, neither.  

Unless you can find links to the 50K offers, neither is worth applying for with only a 25k or 30K bonus.  Presently, you're better off with US Air 50K + Citi AA 50K to combine 100K when the two programs merge in Q2.

Good luck!

The 50K offer for United is pretty easy to find.  I'm pretty sure as long as you are a United Mileage member, 1) you'll get bombarded with mailers for the 50K and 2) it's available online after you sign into your account.  The recommendation for the Citi and Barclays cards is a good one.  Unique opportunity to get 100K miles for very little spend.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.