Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

southwest vs united mileage plus?

tag
bigbang91
Established Contributor

Re: southwest vs united mileage plus?

Me and my wife together have 100k Us airways miles, 50k AAmiles, 50k BAmiles, 100k Delta miles, enough for a lot of flights....

Message 11 of 30
USF813
Frequent Contributor

If I needed additional credit and needed another airline card I'd go with United.
Message 12 of 30
bigbang91
Established Contributor

I actually gonna PC my UE soon, devaluation+ revenue based earning is not worth it

Message 13 of 30
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm looking for my second airline credit card. I have the us airways and people say it's good to use it to travel domestically. Should my next card be a chase southwest or united milesage plus if I plan to use it both domestically and internationally? Which has large fuel surcharges?

I would not recommend either card. There are alot of options out there that provide more flexibility.  Depending on where you live, fares are relatively cheap; especially if there are low cost carrier options i.e. Spirit, Frontier.  Thereby, it is not worth redeeming miles for an inexpenive ticket.  Also, be mindful of the $75 fee United charges if you redeem for award travel less than 21 days prior to travel.  

I love the AMEX PRG card and the flexibility to redeem MR points for airline travel, hotels, etc.

Message 14 of 30
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

I actually gonna PC my UE soon, devaluation+ revenue based earning is not worth it

Good point.  I forgot both Delta and United have changed the way you earn miles.  The new programs are designed to reward the more lucrative customers or business travelers who purchase full fare tickets vs. inexpensive sale fare.  

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think most of the people that say they don't think airline cards are worth it don't live in the PNW. The BoA AK Air Signature Card has tremendous value due to the $99 companion fare you get annually. That alone pays for the AF and saves you hundreds of dollars on a second ticket for traveling.

Out of the cards you are looking at IMO the United is the way to go. Great signup bonus as well as free checked bags. Also I would look at CSP for a more general spend travel card.
Message 16 of 30
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I think most of the people that say they don't think airline cards are worth it don't live in the PNW. The BoA AK Air Signature Card has tremendous value due to the $99 companion fare you get annually. That alone pays for the AF and saves you hundreds of dollars on a second ticket for traveling.

Out of the cards you are looking at IMO the United is the way to go. Great signup bonus as well as free checked bags. Also I would look at CSP for a more general spend travel card.

Agree.  Everyone's situation will be different and it will depend on a number of variables.  In my situation, Spirit & Frontier have added a lot of pressure and prices have fallen in my area.  Coast-to-Coast fares are as low as $237.00 roundtrip where they were as much as +$500.  WIth these new low fares, I would never use award miles for such cheap fares. 

Also, in regards to baggage fees - I have the $250 annual airline credit on my Citi Prestige card.  Also, AMEX is suppose to be adding a $100.00 travel credit in the near future.

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX just had to add that credit. I'm canceling my Green Card in May before the AF hits and was not going to get the PRG because I recently got the CSP but man, it'll be hard to say no to that now.
Message 18 of 30
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@TrueGeminiNC wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Agree.  Everyone's situation will be different and it will depend on a number of variables.  In my situation, Spirit & Frontier have added a lot of pressure and prices have fallen in my area.  Coast-to-Coast fares are as low as $237.00 roundtrip where they were as much as +$500.  WIth these new low fares, I would never use award miles for such cheap fares. 

Also, in regards to baggage fees - I have the $250 annual airline credit on my Citi Prestige card.  Also, AMEX is suppose to be adding a $100.00 travel credit in the near future.

loving my prestige after only 2 days,still drooling over its enormous benefit for 100$ AF.BTW when did you receive ur priority pass??

Message 19 of 30
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

@TrueGeminiNC wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

loving my prestige after only 2 days,still drooling over its enormous benefit for 100$ AF.BTW when did you receive ur priority pass??

I haven't really explored the priority pass feature. I currently have access to the United Club for the next year.  However, I rarely use the club.  With Global Entry/TSA Pre-Check I zip through the security lines.  Thereby, I arrive at the airport within minutes of departure time with no time to enter the club.  

In my opinion, the club (specifically United Club) isn't worth the cost.  The only reason that I have it is because it was free. 

Notably, I will say that I wish AMEX would add their Centurion lounges as a perk to the PRG.  I heard their lounges were really nice inclusive of real food.  If I ever visit an airport with a Centurion lounge, I would probably go to the airport early simply to visit the lounge.  

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.