Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

store cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

store cards

hello,

I was looking for some different options for a store card to apply for to help rebuild my fico score. Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: store cards

chadb wrote:
hello,

I was looking for some different options for a store card to apply for to help rebuild my fico score. Any suggestions?

Where do you like to shop?  A lot of store cards have rewards programs that are good for frequent shoppers.

What do your scores and reports look like?  (Baddies, BK, etc etc)

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't shop at too many places. I live in NYC so I don't need a gas card! This is a tough one, I thought perhaps a Target card because it offered the closest thing to daily purchases. Does Kmart offer a card? I wish duane reade or cvs did! My fico is 600 with equifax, several baddies, no BK.
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target  should be no problem- \

If looking for a nice TL with a decent CL try kay
Kay.com
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

chadb wrote:
I don't shop at too many places. I live in NYC so I don't need a gas card! This is a tough one, I thought perhaps a Target card because it offered the closest thing to daily purchases. Does Kmart offer a card? I wish duane reade or cvs did! My fico is 600 with equifax, several baddies, no BK.

I agree with TImothy that Target should be easy for you.

I also live in NYC, love my Target Card.  For every $1,000 you spend, you'll get a certificate for 10% off a full day of shopping.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I started out I applied for a WalMart card.  They only gave me $150 limit to start, but within 6 months and without even asking, they sent me a new Discover card with a $5500 limit.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chad walmart is a good card started me off with 600 as well as Macys did too

Also I noticed you said you like a CVS card JCPenney card is linked with CVS and you can use there as well--I appd there and got wa starting limit of 1000

they are some decent cards with different offers throughout the year

Some like Best Buy and Circuit City but I dont have those in my wallet as well as Home Depot or Lowes
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the tip on CVS, that is exactly what I was looking for, something that would allow me to use for a portion of my daily purchases. Other cards would have me going out of the way to purchase something strictly to get it on a card.

Does anyone know of a card that links with Duane Reade?

Also, is there any advantage to applying for the JcPenney card in-store or should I just do it online?

I was going to start a credit line at Crown Jewelers because of the ease. Would it be better to set this up before or after I apply for a store card?

Chad

Message Edited by chadb on 02-07-2008 06:55 AM
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

chad, I applied for my Penny's card in Nov.2006. Started me with $300 cl. After using it paying it off for several cycles, they raised the limit to $1,000. Requested a cli this past October, and they raised me to $1,500. I'm very pleased with it.

Not only can you charge at Penny's but CVS Pharmacy, AND Sephora. Smiley Happy

I have a Best Buy store card, use it a lot. Great opening cl for me.

Lot's of people here love the HomeDepot store card.

I can only suggest that when you decide on one, you go for a nationally known store card. (I'm in Texas and honestly have never heard of Duane Reade.)

Hope that helps. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

chadb wrote:
Thank you for the tip on CVS, that is exactly what I was looking for, something that would allow me to use for a portion of my daily purchases. Other cards would have me going out of the way to purchase something strictly to get it on a card.

Does anyone know of a card that links with Duane Reade?

Also, is there any advantage to applying for the JcPenney card in-store or should I just do it online?

I was going to start a credit line at Crown Jewelers because of the ease. Would it be better to set this up before or after I apply for a store card?

Chad

Message Edited by chadb on 02-07-2008 06:55 AM

Just my opinion:

If you can get a regular store card of any kind, you don't need Crown Jewelers.  CJ is for people who need a positive TL because they can't get accepted for anything.

Once you get a store card and treat it right, then eventually get a bank card or two, and after a year or two you'll start to look at CJ like a blemish on your reports.

Unless you actually like their jewelry. Smiley Happy

ETA:  At the very least, take Timothy's advice and apply for a Kay card before you go the CJ route.  They generally start at $1500 CL, just like CJ, but they're a reputable nationwide jewelry store, and you don't have to make a purchase to keep them reporting.

Message Edited by cheddar on 02-07-2008 07:37 AM

Message Edited by cheddar on 02-07-2008 07:38 AM
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.