Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

store clerk tricked into opening card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

store clerk tricked into opening card

I need advice. I was recently shopping around for engagement rings, and went into a Zales. I was asked by a clerk there if they could run my credit to see what I was eligable for. I said sure but insisted that I did NOT want to open a card. Well, a few days later I get the new card in the mail. Can I have this voided due to the fact that the opening of the card was fraudulent? I do not want this to hurt my credit score, and it is very important that I can have credit available soon. It is just infuriating! Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card

um, you said "sure" to them asking you if they could run your credit, AND you provided them your SSN
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 26
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I need advice. I was recently shopping around for engagement rings, and went into a Zales. I was asked by a clerk there if they could run my credit to see what I was eligable for. I said sure but insisted that I did NOT want to open a card. Well, a few days later I get the new card in the mail. Can I have this voided due to the fact that the opening of the card was fraudulent? I do not want this to hurt my credit score, and it is very important that I can have credit available soon. It is just infuriating! Thanks for any help.

You can try to recon it, but unfortunately the fact that you gave them the authorization to run your credit through and gave them your information pretty much may make it a no-go. Many times when applying for a credit card application there's a little keypad that says "I accept the Terms & Conditions..." blah blah blah to an account. It is your responsibility to go through the terms and conditions before hitting the "accept" button, and/or ask any questions to the associate before doing so. If there was no accept button or check-off box, then you may have a chance at reconning!

Unfortunately I know this game well. Sometimes associates at my store don't always give the whole lowdown before getting people to apply for the JCP card (some people think it's simply a rewards card, but when they get to the point of entering their SSN they should realize it's not just a rewards card...but it happens anyways). But it is also the consumers responsibility before signing up for ANYTHING to read through terms & conditions.

Some cards also don't report right away. You may be able to close the account ASAP and never have it report. The hard pull (if any) you will likely not be able to recon due to the fact that you did authorize the salesperson to run a credit check. But the effects of that hard pull will likely fade away in a couple of months!

Best of luck! Sorry it had to happen to you, but I'm sure you can resolve it easier than you think Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 26
distantarray
Established Contributor

giving someone your info and expecting them not to use it? You can't find out if your qualified for it there's so much thing I know of a guarentteed approval with a credit card etc.

Besides the common sense things of having a well aged account with nothing bad on your reports then of course you'll get approved for 98% + of things out there (minus things like Amex Black, and JP Morgan Palladium etc which requires super high incomes or spendings) 

Even Pre-Qualified doesn't really mean you'll qualify. I wish I could ask each company if they would most likely approve me before I app Smiley Happy that would be nice, but does not exist :\  

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I noticed that a paper that came with the card says that they can't begin sharing my information until 30 days has passed. Does that mean that I can cancel the card within those 30 days without penalty to my credit score? 

Message 5 of 26
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I noticed that a paper that came with the card says that they can't begin sharing my information until 30 days has passed. Does that mean that I can cancel the card within those 30 days without penalty to my credit score? 

Yes indeed! Well, that means they won't report the account to the credit bureau, so it'll be like it never happened, sans the hard pull. You won't be able to get rid of that.

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes indeed! Well, that means they won't report the account to the credit bureau, so it'll be like it never happened, sans the hard pull. You won't be able to get rid of that.

Well that's great then! I know the credit check will still be there (my dumb mistake), but at least the card wont be! Thank you! :-)

Message 7 of 26
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well that's great then! I know the credit check will still be there (my dumb mistake), but at least the card wont be! Thank you! :-)

No problem! That's the beauty of most creditors. They don't report until after the 1st statement cut Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 26
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Why would you tell them to run your credit if you were not going to open an account? That just seems silly to just take a hard pull just because.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 9 of 26
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Funny how they knew where to mail the card... 

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.