Reply
New Contributor
martinkk
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎08-23-2010
0

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card

I'm curious. If OP closes and inquiry stays then won't it look like he was denied credit to creditors pulling his credit later? Since he already took the HP, why would it not be better to accept the account and just SD the card? I know AAofA might be less, but utilization would be lower, right? I' m still new here so just trying to get it all straight in my mind. 

Established Contributor
ccnewcc
Posts: 560
Registered: ‎09-29-2012
0

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card


panda21 wrote:

I need advice. I was recently shopping around for engagement rings, and went into a Zales. I was asked by a clerk there if they could run my credit to see what I was eligable for. I said sure but insisted that I did NOT want to open a card. Well, a few days later I get the new card in the mail. Can I have this voided due to the fact that the opening of the card was fraudulent? I do not want this to hurt my credit score, and it is very important that I can have credit available soon. It is just infuriating! Thanks for any help.


Wow that sucks.  I don't know the answer to your question but it does look like it was already answered.  I do want to say, however, that most retail people work on commission and/or get some sort of incentive if they can get people to app for store cards.

 

In any sales environment, the chance for less than honest sales ppl rises.   If no means no, then just say no.  

Established Contributor
distantarray
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card


martinkk wrote:

I'm curious. If OP closes and inquiry stays then won't it look like he was denied credit to creditors pulling his credit later? Since he already took the HP, why would it not be better to accept the account and just SD the card? I know AAofA might be less, but utilization would be lower, right? I' m still new here so just trying to get it all straight in my mind. 


I would say possibly keep it since he's lookin to buy a ring soon from what I understand and depending on the credit limit :smileyvery-happy:


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
New Visitor
panda21
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎12-03-2012
0

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card


martinkk wrote:

I'm curious. If OP closes and inquiry stays then won't it look like he was denied credit to creditors pulling his credit later? Since he already took the HP, why would it not be better to accept the account and just SD the card? I know AAofA might be less, but utilization would be lower, right? I' m still new here so just trying to get it all straight in my mind. 


I'm interested in this answer too. I'm a huge novice with this stuff.

 

Established Contributor
calihlove75
Posts: 787
Registered: ‎05-16-2012
0

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card


daybreakgonesXe wrote:

panda21 wrote:

Well, I noticed that a paper that came with the card says that they can't begin sharing my information until 30 days has passed. Does that mean that I can cancel the card within those 30 days without penalty to my credit score? 


Yes indeed! Well, that means they won't report the account to the credit bureau, so it'll be like it never happened, sans the hard pull. You won't be able to get rid of that.


That is not how I would read into that. I would think that means they won't share information to their partners for promotional offer purposes/ marketing. I cannot imagine the credit card will not report.


100% Ficos: EX 762, TU 767, EQ 754 Inquiries last 1 year/6 months: EX-0/0, TU- 0/0, EQ-2/1~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014
Discover IT $8000~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $2000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $14,000~ Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $2500~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe
Posts: 1,808
Registered: ‎11-17-2012
0

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card


martinkk wrote:

I'm curious. If OP closes and inquiry stays then won't it look like he was denied credit to creditors pulling his credit later? Since he already took the HP, why would it not be better to accept the account and just SD the card? I know AAofA might be less, but utilization would be lower, right? I' m still new here so just trying to get it all straight in my mind. 


Hmmm to be honest I'm not sure. I'm sure if it was manually reviewed sometime down the road it may seem that way since there's no appropriate tradeline available for it. Creditors don't seem to consider hard pulls to particular available credit lines (like there's no connect the dots). It's simply separate categories that get calculated. You have to consider that some hard pulls won't link to an account all the time (like shopping around for an auto loan or mortgage) so there's no real way to tell off the bat unless someone manually reviews and "assumes". But we all know what assuming does :smileytongue:

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k

EQ FICO 735 TU FICO 747 Credit Karma (TU) 789 Transrisk 846/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 768 Credit.com (EX) 768 VantageScore 3.0 745
New Visitor
panda21
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎12-03-2012
0

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card


ccnewcc wrote:

panda21 wrote:

I need advice. I was recently shopping around for engagement rings, and went into a Zales. I was asked by a clerk there if they could run my credit to see what I was eligable for. I said sure but insisted that I did NOT want to open a card. Well, a few days later I get the new card in the mail. Can I have this voided due to the fact that the opening of the card was fraudulent? I do not want this to hurt my credit score, and it is very important that I can have credit available soon. It is just infuriating! Thanks for any help.


Wow that sucks.  I don't know the answer to your question but it does look like it was already answered.  I do want to say, however, that most retail people work on commission and/or get some sort of incentive if they can get people to app for store cards.

 

In any sales environment, the chance for less than honest sales ppl rises.   If no means no, then just say no.  


Yeah, and it's backfired because not only will I not be shopping at Zales, I definitely would never buy it from that woman.  It can be hard out there for people (like me and a lot of young adults) to navigate their credit when you don't know much about it, plus you have people everywhere trying to use your lack of experience to con you out of your credit score just so they can make a commission. Is it so much to ask that people just be kind?!

Established Contributor
distantarray
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card

[ Edited ]

panda21 wrote:

ccnewcc wrote:

panda21 wrote:

I need advice. I was recently shopping around for engagement rings, and went into a Zales. I was asked by a clerk there if they could run my credit to see what I was eligable for. I said sure but insisted that I did NOT want to open a card. Well, a few days later I get the new card in the mail. Can I have this voided due to the fact that the opening of the card was fraudulent? I do not want this to hurt my credit score, and it is very important that I can have credit available soon. It is just infuriating! Thanks for any help.


Wow that sucks.  I don't know the answer to your question but it does look like it was already answered.  I do want to say, however, that most retail people work on commission and/or get some sort of incentive if they can get people to app for store cards.

 

In any sales environment, the chance for less than honest sales ppl rises.   If no means no, then just say no.  


Yeah, and it's backfired because not only will I not be shopping at Zales, I definitely would never buy it from that woman.  It can be hard out there for people (like me and a lot of young adults) to navigate their credit when you don't know much about it, plus you have people everywhere trying to use your lack of experience to con you out of your credit score just so they can make a commission. Is it so much to ask that people just be kind?!


to be fair what you were asking was completely unreasonable and a strange question to ask, what you were offered would probably be the most fitting response besides going HUH? which is what i was doing while scratching my head. Besides everyone wants to make a sale, regardless there's NO way she could find out if you would qualify without pulling your score, and companies will NEVER soft hit you for a card unless you do the shopping cart trick with WFNNB or Comenity.

 

In the end you allowed her to run your credit, and insisted you did not want to open a card. In which you've recieved the option of NOT having it report. She did exactly what you requested. The fault is yours imho.


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Valued Contributor
navigatethis12
Posts: 1,928
Registered: ‎01-24-2012
0

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card


panda21 wrote:

Well, I noticed that a paper that came with the card says that they can't begin sharing my information until 30 days has passed. Does that mean that I can cancel the card within those 30 days without penalty to my credit score? 


I am sure that means sharing your information with affiliates and possibly marketing companies, not the credit bureaus. You can of course try, if you want to.

 


martinkk wrote:

I'm curious. If OP closes and inquiry stays then won't it look like he was denied credit to creditors pulling his credit later? 



Lenders do not care if you are approved or not when they look at inquiries; they can not see if you were approved or not when looking at it either.

Senior Contributor
Ron1
Posts: 4,883
Registered: ‎05-23-2009
0

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card

The creditor will report your account as closed and it might hurt your score. I would say to keep it open or you might find useful.  You already took the HP and your score might drop.  Keep it open and it doesn't cost you.

 

 

Ron.

 

 

 


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+