Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

store clerk tricked into opening card

tag
martinkk
Contributor

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card

I'm curious. If OP closes and inquiry stays then won't it look like he was denied credit to creditors pulling his credit later? Since he already took the HP, why would it not be better to accept the account and just SD the card? I know AAofA might be less, but utilization would be lower, right? I' m still new here so just trying to get it all straight in my mind. 

Message 11 of 26
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I need advice. I was recently shopping around for engagement rings, and went into a Zales. I was asked by a clerk there if they could run my credit to see what I was eligable for. I said sure but insisted that I did NOT want to open a card. Well, a few days later I get the new card in the mail. Can I have this voided due to the fact that the opening of the card was fraudulent? I do not want this to hurt my credit score, and it is very important that I can have credit available soon. It is just infuriating! Thanks for any help.

Wow that sucks.  I don't know the answer to your question but it does look like it was already answered.  I do want to say, however, that most retail people work on commission and/or get some sort of incentive if they can get people to app for store cards.

In any sales environment, the chance for less than honest sales ppl rises.   If no means no, then just say no.  

Message 12 of 26
distantarray
Established Contributor

@martinkk wrote:

I'm curious. If OP closes and inquiry stays then won't it look like he was denied credit to creditors pulling his credit later? Since he already took the HP, why would it not be better to accept the account and just SD the card? I know AAofA might be less, but utilization would be lower, right? I' m still new here so just trying to get it all straight in my mind. 

I would say possibly keep it since he's lookin to buy a ring soon from what I understand and depending on the credit limit Smiley Very Happy

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@martinkk wrote:

I'm interested in this answer too. I'm a huge novice with this stuff.

Message 14 of 26
calihlove75
Established Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I noticed that a paper that came with the card says that they can't begin sharing my information until 30 days has passed. Does that mean that I can cancel the card within those 30 days without penalty to my credit score? 

Yes indeed! Well, that means they won't report the account to the credit bureau, so it'll be like it never happened, sans the hard pull. You won't be able to get rid of that.

That is not how I would read into that. I would think that means they won't share information to their partners for promotional offer purposes/ marketing. I cannot imagine the credit card will not report.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 15 of 26
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@martinkk wrote:

Hmmm to be honest I'm not sure. I'm sure if it was manually reviewed sometime down the road it may seem that way since there's no appropriate tradeline available for it. Creditors don't seem to consider hard pulls to particular available credit lines (like there's no connect the dots). It's simply separate categories that get calculated. You have to consider that some hard pulls won't link to an account all the time (like shopping around for an auto loan or mortgage) so there's no real way to tell off the bat unless someone manually reviews and "assumes". But we all know what assuming does Smiley Tongue

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ccnewcc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I need advice. I was recently shopping around for engagement rings, and went into a Zales. I was asked by a clerk there if they could run my credit to see what I was eligable for. I said sure but insisted that I did NOT want to open a card. Well, a few days later I get the new card in the mail. Can I have this voided due to the fact that the opening of the card was fraudulent? I do not want this to hurt my credit score, and it is very important that I can have credit available soon. It is just infuriating! Thanks for any help.

Wow that sucks.  I don't know the answer to your question but it does look like it was already answered.  I do want to say, however, that most retail people work on commission and/or get some sort of incentive if they can get people to app for store cards.

In any sales environment, the chance for less than honest sales ppl rises.   If no means no, then just say no.  

Yeah, and it's backfired because not only will I not be shopping at Zales, I definitely would never buy it from that woman.  It can be hard out there for people (like me and a lot of young adults) to navigate their credit when you don't know much about it, plus you have people everywhere trying to use your lack of experience to con you out of your credit score just so they can make a commission. Is it so much to ask that people just be kind?!

Message 17 of 26
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, and it's backfired because not only will I not be shopping at Zales, I definitely would never buy it from that woman.  It can be hard out there for people (like me and a lot of young adults) to navigate their credit when you don't know much about it, plus you have people everywhere trying to use your lack of experience to con you out of your credit score just so they can make a commission. Is it so much to ask that people just be kind?!

to be fair what you were asking was completely unreasonable and a strange question to ask, what you were offered would probably be the most fitting response besides going HUH? which is what i was doing while scratching my head. Besides everyone wants to make a sale, regardless there's NO way she could find out if you would qualify without pulling your score, and companies will NEVER soft hit you for a card unless you do the shopping cart trick with WFNNB or Comenity.

In the end you allowed her to run your credit, and insisted you did not want to open a card. In which you've recieved the option of NOT having it report. She did exactly what you requested. The fault is yours imho.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 18 of 26
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I noticed that a paper that came with the card says that they can't begin sharing my information until 30 days has passed. Does that mean that I can cancel the card within those 30 days without penalty to my credit score? 

I am sure that means sharing your information with affiliates and possibly marketing companies, not the credit bureaus. You can of course try, if you want to.

@martinkk wrote:

I'm curious. If OP closes and inquiry stays then won't it look like he was denied credit to creditors pulling his credit later? 

Lenders do not care if you are approved or not when they look at inquiries; they can not see if you were approved or not when looking at it either.

Message 19 of 26
Ron1
Super Contributor

The creditor will report your account as closed and it might hurt your score. I would say to keep it open or you might find useful.  You already took the HP and your score might drop.  Keep it open and it doesn't cost you.

Ron.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.