Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

store clerk tricked into opening card

tag
gettnthere
Established Contributor

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card

I agree with Ron1, theres really no way your gonna stop that card from report. That page you got saying that they wouldn't share info only means they wont share your info with sister companies and financial institutions to offer you promotions and other products. They are still going to report to the CRA's. You already took the inquiry, which is gonna slightly lower your score regardless, you might as well keep the card open and SD it so it can at least help with your utilization. Closing the card now would honestly just be pointless. The whole situation is a little bizarre IMHO. Best of luck with whichever you decide.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 21 of 26
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@gettnthere wrote:
I agree with Ron1, theres really no way your gonna stop that card from report. That page you got saying that they wouldn't share info only means they wont share your info with sister companies and financial institutions to offer you promotions and other products. They are still going to report to the CRA's. You already took the inquiry, which is gonna slightly lower your score regardless, you might as well keep the card open and SD it so it can at least help with your utilization. Closing the card now would honestly just be pointless. The whole situation is a little bizarre IMHO. Best of luck with whichever you decide.

Agree, the card will report, abeit closed, the damage was done when you allowed them to pull an inquiry, it *will* impact your credit profile, regardless.  How much depends on your profile.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 26
dalleanne
New Contributor

daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Unfortunately I know this game well. Sometimes associates at my store don't always give the whole lowdown before getting people to apply for the JCP card (some people think it's simply a rewards card, but when they get to the point of entering their SSN they should realize it's not just a rewards card...but it happens anyways). But it is also the consumers responsibility before signing up for ANYTHING to read through terms & conditions.

The same thing happened to me at Sport Chalet so don't feel too bad Panda. I thought the clerk was signing me up for a rewards card and she had me sign an Ipad to receive their Platinum Visa card. I wanted them to cancel the app but they said there was no way they could.

I was concerned about what it would do to my credit until I saw the limit they gave me, at $4500 it was over twice the limit of my Amex card. So I'm keeping the card for now since it brings up my amount of available credit and it turned out not to be just a store card so I could use it anywhere if I wanted to. 

Message 23 of 26
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

I agree with some of the posters. since you already did take a hard inquiry, why not just keep the card!

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 26
distantarray
Established Contributor

@dalleanne wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Unfortunately I know this game well. Sometimes associates at my store don't always give the whole lowdown before getting people to apply for the JCP card (some people think it's simply a rewards card, but when they get to the point of entering their SSN they should realize it's not just a rewards card...but it happens anyways). But it is also the consumers responsibility before signing up for ANYTHING to read through terms & conditions.

The same thing happened to me at Sport Chalet so don't feel too bad Panda. I thought the clerk was signing me up for a rewards card and she had me sign an Ipad to receive their Platinum Visa card. I wanted them to cancel the app but they said there was no way they could.

I was concerned about what it would do to my credit until I saw the limit they gave me, at $4500 it was over twice the limit of my Amex card. So I'm keeping the card for now since it brings up my amount of available credit and it turned out not to be just a store card so I could use it anywhere if I wanted to. 

when it asked for your social you didn't stop and say wait..... ? =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 25 of 26
dalleanne
New Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@dalleanne wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

when it asked for your social you didn't stop and say wait..... ? =)

I stopped and asked the clerk "wait, this isn't a credit card, right" and she told me it was a cashback rewards card. That just confused me so I just shut up and signed it. But now I'm not upset about it because it did lower my overall utilization. It's the only inq I've had in a long time that wasn't related to auto insurance shopping.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.