Reply
New Visitor
panda21
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎12-03-2012

store clerk tricked into opening card

I need advice. I was recently shopping around for engagement rings, and went into a Zales. I was asked by a clerk there if they could run my credit to see what I was eligable for. I said sure but insisted that I did NOT want to open a card. Well, a few days later I get the new card in the mail. Can I have this voided due to the fact that the opening of the card was fraudulent? I do not want this to hurt my credit score, and it is very important that I can have credit available soon. It is just infuriating! Thanks for any help.

Valued Contributor
Repo-ed
Posts: 2,953
Registered: ‎02-09-2012

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card

um, you said "sure" to them asking you if they could run your credit, AND you provided them your SSN
Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe
Posts: 1,744
Registered: ‎11-17-2012

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card


panda21 wrote:

I need advice. I was recently shopping around for engagement rings, and went into a Zales. I was asked by a clerk there if they could run my credit to see what I was eligable for. I said sure but insisted that I did NOT want to open a card. Well, a few days later I get the new card in the mail. Can I have this voided due to the fact that the opening of the card was fraudulent? I do not want this to hurt my credit score, and it is very important that I can have credit available soon. It is just infuriating! Thanks for any help.


You can try to recon it, but unfortunately the fact that you gave them the authorization to run your credit through and gave them your information pretty much may make it a no-go. Many times when applying for a credit card application there's a little keypad that says "I accept the Terms & Conditions..." blah blah blah to an account. It is your responsibility to go through the terms and conditions before hitting the "accept" button, and/or ask any questions to the associate before doing so. If there was no accept button or check-off box, then you may have a chance at reconning!

 

Unfortunately I know this game well. Sometimes associates at my store don't always give the whole lowdown before getting people to apply for the JCP card (some people think it's simply a rewards card, but when they get to the point of entering their SSN they should realize it's not just a rewards card...but it happens anyways). But it is also the consumers responsibility before signing up for ANYTHING to read through terms & conditions.

 

Some cards also don't report right away. You may be able to close the account ASAP and never have it report. The hard pull (if any) you will likely not be able to recon due to the fact that you did authorize the salesperson to run a credit check. But the effects of that hard pull will likely fade away in a couple of months!

 

Best of luck! Sorry it had to happen to you, but I'm sure you can resolve it easier than you think :smileysad:

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k

EQ FICO 709 TU FICO 746 Credit Karma (TU) 780 Transrisk 821/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 762 Credit.com (EX) 763 VantageScore 3.0 733
Established Contributor
distantarray
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card

giving someone your info and expecting them not to use it? You can't find out if your qualified for it there's so much thing I know of a guarentteed approval with a credit card etc.

 

Besides the common sense things of having a well aged account with nothing bad on your reports then of course you'll get approved for 98% + of things out there (minus things like Amex Black, and JP Morgan Palladium etc which requires super high incomes or spendings) 

 

Even Pre-Qualified doesn't really mean you'll qualify. I wish I could ask each company if they would most likely approve me before I app :smileyhappy: that would be nice, but does not exist :\  


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
New Visitor
panda21
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎12-03-2012

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card

Well, I noticed that a paper that came with the card says that they can't begin sharing my information until 30 days has passed. Does that mean that I can cancel the card within those 30 days without penalty to my credit score? 

Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe
Posts: 1,744
Registered: ‎11-17-2012

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card


panda21 wrote:

Well, I noticed that a paper that came with the card says that they can't begin sharing my information until 30 days has passed. Does that mean that I can cancel the card within those 30 days without penalty to my credit score? 


Yes indeed! Well, that means they won't report the account to the credit bureau, so it'll be like it never happened, sans the hard pull. You won't be able to get rid of that.

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k

EQ FICO 709 TU FICO 746 Credit Karma (TU) 780 Transrisk 821/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 762 Credit.com (EX) 763 VantageScore 3.0 733
New Visitor
panda21
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎12-03-2012

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card


daybreakgonesXe wrote:

panda21 wrote:

Well, I noticed that a paper that came with the card says that they can't begin sharing my information until 30 days has passed. Does that mean that I can cancel the card within those 30 days without penalty to my credit score? 


Yes indeed! Well, that means they won't report the account to the credit bureau, so it'll be like it never happened, sans the hard pull. You won't be able to get rid of that.


Well that's great then! I know the credit check will still be there (my dumb mistake), but at least the card wont be! Thank you! :-)

Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe
Posts: 1,744
Registered: ‎11-17-2012

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card


panda21 wrote:

daybreakgonesXe wrote:

panda21 wrote:

Well, I noticed that a paper that came with the card says that they can't begin sharing my information until 30 days has passed. Does that mean that I can cancel the card within those 30 days without penalty to my credit score? 


Yes indeed! Well, that means they won't report the account to the credit bureau, so it'll be like it never happened, sans the hard pull. You won't be able to get rid of that.


Well that's great then! I know the credit check will still be there (my dumb mistake), but at least the card wont be! Thank you! :-)


No problem! That's the beauty of most creditors. They don't report until after the 1st statement cut :smileyhappy:

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k

EQ FICO 709 TU FICO 746 Credit Karma (TU) 780 Transrisk 821/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 762 Credit.com (EX) 763 VantageScore 3.0 733
Established Contributor
calihlove75
Posts: 787
Registered: ‎05-16-2012

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card

Why would you tell them to run your credit if you were not going to open an account? That just seems silly to just take a hard pull just because.


100% Ficos: EX 762, TU 767, EQ 754 Inquiries last 1 year/6 months: EX-0/0, TU- 0/0, EQ-2/1~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014
Discover IT $8000~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $2000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $14,000~ Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $2500~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Frequent Contributor
jake619
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎11-13-2012

Re: store clerk tricked into opening card

Funny how they knew where to mail the card... 


GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.


Minor vulgarity edit --Rev




myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+