Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggestion for my 2nd card

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: suggestion for my 2nd card

My advice would be to stick to cash back cards with no annual fee for the moment.  In another year, you can add a travel card.

Cash back cards come in two varieties:

(1) Those with flat rate earnings on all spending, usually at a 1.5% or 2% rate.  Citi Double Cash is an example of a 2% flat rate card.

(2) Those with a 1% flat rate augmented by bonus categories such as gas, supermarkets, or restaurants that earn 2% or 3%.  The Bank of America Cash Rewards card you already have is an example.  It's good for gas (3%), ok for groceries (2%), and with minimal rewards for everything else (1%).

Since your current card gives you 3% for gas, your next card should do one of the following three things:  2% flat rate, 3% groceries, or 3% restaurants.  Citi Double Cash would provide 2% flat rate.  Amex Blue Cash Everyday would cover 3% groceries.  Capital One Premier Dining Rewards or Chase AARP would cover 3% restaurants.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 11 of 14
driftless
Valued Contributor

A lot of good suggestions here.  Chase may be stingy, they like a little more credit history.  I would suggest that you apply for two cards on the same day and not just one.  Eventually you may want to consider having three cards as having three cards can maximize your FICO score.  Additionally, having three cards will really have you sitting pretty as your accounts age.  If you pick two more nice cards you may never need to apply for credit card again. Congratulations on a great start on your credit journey!

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 12 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@driftless wrote:

A lot of good suggestions here.  Chase may be stingy, they like a little more credit history.  I would suggest that you apply for two cards on the same day and not just one.  Eventually you may want to consider having three cards as having three cards can maximize your FICO score.  Additionally, having three cards will really have you sitting pretty as your accounts age.  If you pick two more nice cards you may never need to apply for credit card again. Congratulations on a great start on your credit journey!

Applying for two cards in the same day is often a good tack. But there are reasons not to do it too. In this case, there's the possibility that Chase cards are in the OP's future. Keeping 5/24 in mind is a reason to work slowly. Citi is similar to Chase in that they like a little file thickness and some history while being sensitive to too many new accounts. I think that if the OP gets one great card right now and lets it age for six to twelve months, applying for a Chase card and a Citi Double Cash on the same day would work at that point.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would look at Navy Federal. Good products and great SLs

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.